An Unexpected Visitor

Treech refused to leave Evie's side after the phone call with Mrs

Treech refused to leave Evie's side after the phone call with Mrs. Plinth.

He could barely hear the older woman's words over the phone, but he understood the situation well enough.

Sejanus Plinth was dead.

According to his mother, he had been labeled a rebel in district twelve. He had attempted to help some of the citizens by breaking a woman out of jail so she could flee north, and was hung in a public execution as punishment.

Evie tried to remain as calm as possible, letting Mrs. Plinth mourn, but Treech could see she needed to hang up soon or she would fall apart.

The second the phone call ended, Evie collapsed. Treech managed to catch her just before she hit the floor, gently lowering the two of the to the ground where he let his back rest against the wall while holding Evie between his outstretched legs.

He let her cry onto his neck, rubbing her back in an attempt to soothe the distressed girl. She sounded like she was trying to speak, but he couldn't understand her through her sobs.

"He- He can't- I can't," Evie hiccuped as she cried, trying to make sentences with her words, but failing.

"Shhhh," Treech whispered in her ear, moving the hand was rubbing her back up to cradle her head. His other hand brushed the tears from her eyes, "You need to breathe. Breathe, Evie, just breathe."

Evie attempted to take a stuttering breath only to cry harder. She couldn't believe it. He couldn't be dead, she had just spoken to him yesterday.

He sounded happy, they were laughing and joking like they did before everything had changed.

And now? Hung as a rebel the next day? Executed for his beliefs?

It seemed something sinister was at work here. Like someone had set him up.

Where was Coriolanus during this? Why didn't he help? Did he even try? Did he do anything?

Was it his fault?

Evie's tears of mourning turned into tears of anger. Pure rage at the thought to Coriolanus Snow getting her best friend killed.

Sejanus had so much love in his heart, so much kindness and hope. He was a caring soul that desperately wanted to help others. He was a believer, and he believed in Coriolanus.

He would've been nineteen in a few weeks, and now he would never age again. Forever eighteen.

She had always been younger than Sejanus, and now in a few months she would be older than he ever was. It didn't feel right.