Deep in the Meadow

Coriolanus seemed to stay true to his promise

Coriolanus seemed to stay true to his promise. He didn't come looking for Evie again, and he didn't send peacekeepers after her.

But Evie didn't know how long that would last.

So for now, she kept going. She lived her life normally, as if he never existed. As if she had never been burdened with the likes of Coriolanus Snow.

She lived her life for those who had lost theirs. For Sejanus Plinth and Dean Highbottom. For the tributes that had fallen in the games. The lived her life for Lamina.

And for sweet Lucy Gray. She didn't know what ever happened to the girl, but she wouldn't let her be forgotten.

She wouldn't let any of them be forgotten.

She continued to go to her job. She saved lives in the makeshift hospital, she met new people and made new friends.

She remembered back to last week when she had met Aspen, a girl that she knew Alder had mentioned before.

She was a pretty girl with green eyes and dirty blonde hair, and she was so nice.

"So you must be the capitol girl everyone's talking about! You really are pretty," The blonde girl grinned when she came into the hospital for a sprained ankle.

Apparently, she was known for getting into sticky situations. Laurel had told her that last month she got sprayed by a skunk while trying to pet it.

This time?

The poor girl had twisted her ankle trying to save a bunny from a muddy ditch outside of her house. From what she gathered, the girl was a bit clumsy. She had slipped in the mud after rescuing the small furry creature and felt a pop in her leg.

Now she was here.

"Well, thank you. You're very pretty too." Evie giggled, observing the shorter girl's swollen ankle.

"Thank you!" She gushed, "I tried to ask Treech about you, we went to school together! But he's kept to himself since he got back. I hear he's been getting out more since you got herethough! I'm glad to hear it. You two seem perfect for each other."

Evie smiled to herself, "Oh, we aren't together."

Aspen gave her a knowing look, "Treech has never really been interested in girls, you know. But he came back from the capitol and all he could tell anyone about was his mentor."

Evie's cheeks burned at her words, but Aspen continued, "I heard about you from the one of the factory workers! Everyone knows about you. We couldn't be happier that you're here."

Aspen had become another friend to Evie. The two started to eat lunch together, with Olive of course. Evie didn't really have many friends back in the capitol, but she was more than happy to have them here in seven.