Chapter 1 - Princess of the Stars

Start from the beginning

"I lied. I need you to come with me." Kamek whispered. "The baby is safe."

"What—"

"Shh!"

"If you shush me one more time, I'm going to slap you again." Vesper snapped.

Kamek leaned over and repeated what he'd said into her ear.

"Ahem— yes, Kamek, as a matter of fact I would like you to accompany me to the medical wing!" Vesper cleared her throat and gestured to her stomach. "I'd like to have this egg out of me before it hatches!"

Kamek let out a deep sigh of relief.

"Right this way, my lady." Kamek and Vesper rushed out of the room. "We'll consult the doctor together."

Kamek opened one of the doors to his tower for Lady Vesper upon arrival, but spared a few final glances behind him for potential spies or eavesdroppers before following her inside.

Vesper glanced at the portrait of Kamek in his younger years sitting proudly upon one of the walls in the entryway; his expression was somber, almost eerie. Rather than the blue and white robes he now wore, his robes in the portrait were red and black. Locks of violet purple hair peeked out from under his hat.

When Kamek noticed her lingering by the portrait, he picked up his pace. Vesper followed him into the living room.

"Okay, it's all clear now," Vesper wiped sweat from her brow. "what's going on?"

"Lady Vesper, I must ask you to take a seat." Kamek gestured to the living room's deep blue sofa.

"I'm fine, just tell me—"

"You're six months pregnant and we just traversed many hallways and flights of stairs to get here." Kamek reminded her. "Regardless, you're going to want to sit down for this."

Kamek led Vesper to the sofa and helped her settle down comfortably.

"Is it that obvious? I-I mean, I know I carry big," Vesper asked, placing a hand over her stomach once again. "but how much longer do you think they'll keep buying the impacted egg excuse?"

"Lady Vesper, with all due respect, your idiot husband put that baby in there," Kamek rolled his eyes. "so if he still doesn't realize you're different from the rest of us after conception, you're definitely safe."

"Do you think he'll look anything like Bowser?" Vesper fidgeted with one of her curls. "I-I guess I'm worried he could end up with more traits from my side. My form is convincing enough, don't get me wrong, but there are a few... m-minor details that would be hard to ignore."

"Even if your son inherits your minor details, he'll be perfect because he'll be yours." Kamek smiled. "A fine future king with roots in two worlds."

Before Vesper could say another word, a soft cry could be heard on the tower's second floor.

"Wait here, please." Kamek rushed up the winding staircase.

Vesper stared after him, her eyes wide with wonder.

Kamek raced back downstairs holding a swaddled human baby close to his chest.

"Shh, shh, shh," Kamek gently bounced the baby in his arms in attempt to soothe it. "It's okay, princess. I won't leave you again."

Vesper smiled and put a hand over her mouth.

"You were telling the truth." She whispered.

"My lady," Kamek placed the baby, who had since calmed down, into her arms. "I would like you to meet Princess Rosalina Toadstool."