Chapter 15-Dance Studio Confessional

Start from the beginning

"Not all of them are after your money, baby. I know Kayden would never. And from what I've heard, your father wouldn't either," Michael's curiosity piqued at her mention of how she leant her time to other people, and he leaned forward slightly and asked, "Who have you had the pleasure of working with in your illustrious career?"

"It hasn't been that illustrious. I'm not done yet. There's a lot more I want to do," Athena smiled and took a moment to reminisce before responding, "Well, the list is quite extensive, but I'll try to give you a glimpse into my journey. One of the most notable figures I've collaborated with is Madonna. She's a bit of a recluse. Working with her was both challenging and enlightening, as she possesses a strong sense of self and an undeniable ego."

Michael's eyebrows raised in surprise, his interest deepening as he probed further, "Madonna, huh? That must have been quite an experience. Did you get to know her on a personal level?"

Athena chuckled softly, recalling her encounters with the pop singer, "Well, we crossed paths a couple of times at some award shows, but I can't say I truly know her beyond the surface level. You know, professionally. Our interactions were brief, and not much was said besides discussing choreography, but they left an impression on me of what kind of person she really is." Not one to rest on a single noteworthy experience, Athena continued listing her collaborations, her voice laced with admiration for all the people she felt honored to work with, "And then there's Mariah Carey. She's a real diva behind the scenes too. Celine Dion, I loved her! Her vocals can move mountains. Tina Turner, Whitney Houston...." Athena paused to catch her breath, her mind flooded with memories of the multifaceted artists she had the privilege of collaborating with, "I've also had the pleasure of working alongside Gloria Estefan, Rod Stewart, the legendary Steven Tyler, and Lionel Richie, each bringing their own unique artistry and energy to the table."

"That's an extensive resume." Michael added as he listened intently, his interest peaked, "Wait a minute....Lionel Richie—" he cut himself off, "Were you on We Are The World?"

"Possibly." Athena smiled, looking to the side as if guilty.

"You weren't in the studio, were you?" Michael asked in shock, "I swear I don't remember seeing your face. And I'd recognize your face anywhere."

"I recorded it separately from everyone else," Athena shrugged, "I was only eighteen at the time, but even I could tell there were too many self-centered people there. And those few people who sang after you...." she trailed off, her hand finding her ear as she made an uncomfortable face, "I didn't need that directly in my ear."

"Yeah, that was a little uncomfortable..." Michael muttered, "Were we ever in the studio at the same time?"

"I may have been coming as you were leaving or leaving as you were coming in," Athena shrugged, now genuinely curious about his question, "But I was never there long enough to, uh....talk to anyone but Lionel and the other people who were behind the scenes. Other than that, I never talked to anyone."

"So you never met Diana Ross?" Michael asked, "She's one of my good friends and she was on We Are the World."

"I've seen her at award shows, but I've never met her." Athena nodded, "And Liz Taylor, I met her....a long time ago. I was so young, I barely remember the encounter. I just know that I met her."

"When did you meet?"

"It was at some fancy party my family was invited to. As Sorelle. And come to find out, Liz Taylor was also in attendance," Athena said, "It was a very brief encounter, but I remember her telling me, 'Dance to your hearts desire.' I took her advice from that day on. And to this day, I still do."

Michael smiled at her, secretly plotting to have them meet again.

Exuding a mix of fondness, Athena added, "And, of course, there were a couple of unforgettable encounters with Prince. I still pinch myself when I think about it."

Taken aback by this revelation, Michael's eyes widened, his admiration for Athena growing, "You worked with Prince? How did that come about?"

Athena's smile widened, her voice filled with warmth, "Indeed, I did. It was a serendipitous turn of events that led to our collaboration. He reached out to me. He said he appreciated my unique approach to music and dance production. We instantly clicked, creatively and personally. He became more than just a collaborator; he became a dear friend. Hence why I've worked with him more than once."

Michael's curiosity naturally led him down a path he couldn't resist, "So, with such a deep bond between you two, I have to ask... was there ever anything romantic happening?"

Athena's laughter filled the air, a genuine sound of amusement, "Oh, goodness, no! Prince and I have a beautiful friendship, but it never crossed into romantic territory. Our connection is founded on mutual respect and creativity, and shared love for the craft of music."

As the conversation flowed, Michael couldn't help but feel a mix of awe and gratitude for the opportunity to know Athena on a more profound level. The glimpse into her illustrious career and the personalities she encountered left him with a newfound appreciation for her talent and the impact she had made in the music industry.

Michael still wanted her to write that book, but this was a good start into getting into the innermost personal thoughts and feelings and experiences of Athena Tyler.