𝟎𝟎𝟑. 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐛𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐡𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐬

FIRST BIRTHDAY NIGHTMARES
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

⋆𐙚₊˚⊹ chapter three, pre Gilmore Girls

December 6th, 1985

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

[ LUKE'S POV ]

     LUCIANA'S FIRST BIRTHDAY is something of a nightmare to organise.

     I was afraid of screwing up her birthday. I think first birthdays are important but according to my dad, I never really had a first birthday. It wasn't such a "big thing" when I was a kid which in a sense is understandable. There is no point of having a birthday when you're too young to remember it. However, Lucy won't be the one to remember it. I will.

     Which is why I want everything to be perfect.

     She deserves everything. Absolutely everything.

     Even these obscene pink balloons that I spent all night blowing up only to have my dad "accidentally" pop four this morning. I hang banners with the help of my dad and I spent the morning cooking her cake while she hung out with some of the townsfolk who insisted on celebrating with the girl they're grown accustom to over the last year.

     They've been extremely welcoming. Every single person in town has chipped in whenever I need help. They've held her, laughed with her, and some have had to deal with her shrill cries. However, not a single person complains and they have no idea how appreciative I am of them. Sometimes when I have to work long hours at the hardware store to help my dad, people stop by and watch Lucy for me.

     I know keeping her in a hardware store isn't exactly safe for a child and I've been told many times by Taylor Doose that a hammer will drop of my daughter's head but I keep her away from all equipment, tools and nails in the store. And when she needs to nap, I take her upstairs to my father's office which is now our apartment.

     A week after I officially signed the birth certificate, declaring her name as Luciana Lilia Danes, a name I believe will suit her, me and Lucy moved into my father's office which we turned into an apartment with the help of my dad who insisted he didn't need the office anymore. He hardly used it and I wanted me and Lucy to have our own space, especially since I was feeling guilty about keeping my father awake at early hours of the morning.

     I built her a brand new crib with some assistance, realising that my old one was not appropriate. It was seconds away from falling apart. Also, I thought that from this crib, I'd be able to convert it into a toddler bed when she's old enough.

     Because she's growing rapidly.

     I blink and she's aging. I still remember collecting her in the hospital. I still remember the first night with her when I cried just as much as she did (not that I'd tell anyone that). I just can't believe my daughter- my baby girl- is one today.