CHAPTER SIX: THE QUARTET

"And you said yes??" The sharp, high pitched voice of Bri startled me.

     "Well, technically I didn't...say yes" My voice trailed off to a whisper, my eyes refusing to meet the girls. I could lie to myself all I wanted, but we all know what I meant by that kiss.

     I was sitting on top of Bri's bed, made obvious by the pink comforter set and fuzzy pillows much like the once back at the Lauve house. It's almost like we were there days ago, but months had passed and shit had gone from hell and back over and over. I wish I could go back to before David's party. I wish we could go back to before David's party. But that's not possible. Things had changed and I needed to accept it.

     "Well, this seems like great news but I'm not sensing a lot of excitement in your to- Hey!" I heard a soft hit prior to Bri's scream, assuming Viva had nudged her pretty hard to stop her from talking. Soon enough I felt the bed dip down on both sides next to me, a warm embrace hitting me immediately.

     "So you don't want this?" Viva began.

     "No, I do. I want to try. He really likes me and I like him and he's an amazing guy when it's just us. I think his ego is the only thing I have a problem with."

     "Well I for one can tell you have a little more complicated feelings about dating him. But I'm gonna trust you on this one. Trent's never really been known for dating before so for him to be so head over heels it must be a good sign. Look at you, turning the bad boy" Bri cooed, her shoulders pushing mine in affection

      "Shut up, I'm not even into bad boys"

      "So what is your type?"

     "I don't know...I like considerate guys that are very clear in their intentions and feelings for me. I like the small things, constant reassurance, random calls and dates, remembering all the small little things. I like the overbearingness of them trying to get my attention, I don't know, maybe I'm obsessed with myself. I think thats why I like Trent. But honestly, I also just like a guy that makes me feel loved. Like I'm his world and he'd do anything to keep me there." The room went silent, the warm embrace of the girls slowly slipping away. And then I heard it. A small sniffle from my left where Bri was sitting, immediately pulling Viva and I's attention to her.

     "I'm sorry. Really, I don't want to take this away from you this is your moment so lets live in it-"

     "No, talk to us. We're here for you just as much as we need you there for us." I said to the crying brunette, a hum of agreement being heard from Viva

     "..fine...It's just...that's all the ways I felt about Leo. He's like, exactly what you listed..at least I thought he was" Bri keep her eyes to her fiddling thumbs in her lap

     "...He is like that-" I spoke without thinking. The thought just came to mind immediately and I guess my mouth acted faster than my brain. "I- I mean, you know..." I released a deep breath, looking up at Bri who was now staring at me, her eyes bloodshot from the tears. Her gaze was tempting, a look of longing as if desperate to hear what I had to say. As if to confirm the thoughts she felt she was crazy about. I couldn't hold this back from her. Not Bri.

     "I spoke to Leo. About everything."

     "Is that why you left the cafeteria like that yesterday?" Viva spoke first, bringing me away from the obvious look of pure shock on Bri.

     "Yeah. He told me the truth and from what I heard, he deserves a little more credit. I can't tell you both as much as I want to, I feel like this is so big that it's something he needs to say himself. But I will tell you this, we are all going through our own battles. Ones that...we're ashamed to have lost. And that's the same for Leo. I know that doesn't change the heartbreak you feel Bri and I get that but maybe talking things out will make things sting a little less."