Author's Note

It's time again! ONC 2024, here we go!

So, I won last year ("Why is there an alien princess in my room?" placed 5th place among the Grand winners). Which means I won't win this year. So I can write whatever I want, no pressure, which is why I've decided to take on a quite experimental story, playing with different kinds of narrative and putting the reliability of the narrator in question.

Interlacing different kinds of narrative is something I've tried before for my ONC stories, and this story will hopefully take it to the next level. Being a mystery (mixed with my usual flavors of coming-of-age angst) this story is also in a completely new genre for me, which is nerve-wracking but also exciting. I want to really challenge myself this ONC, as I feel like I may have been resting a bit on my writing laurels lately.

My intent for "Where is Araminta Green?" is to weave together the script for a fictional true crime podcast with the story of the person recording the podcast, and together, those narratives will eventually answer the titular question. Sounds confusing? Well, hopefully, it won't be once you get into the story (but please tell me if it is).

This story uses prompt #81:

The town's witch has gone missing and no one is looking for her but her two familiars - a crow and a black cat, plus the teen who has always been scared of her.

I've twisted the prompt slightly to make it work in a contemporary setting but all components should still be there, if perhaps slightly reinvented.

Now, onto the story! Good luck to everyone else participating in ONC!