Chapter 102: Bloodstone [Start of Book 3]

Toren Daen

My body tensed at Renea Shorn's words. I spared Sevren a glance from the side of my eye, and from what I could see, he wasn't reacting much better than me.

I looked at the owner of Bloodstone Elixirs, trying to measure my response. I hadn't been prepared for this clash, and something about it felt distinctly confrontational.

I wished for the dozenth time that I had Aurora's advice to guide me. "I'm afraid my friend and I, Sevren of Highblood Denoir," I said, name-dropping the highblood heir to hopefully reassert my position, "Are waiting to get our accolades checked." I paused. "Can this wait until we are finished?"

People around us shifted and stared at the mention of Highblood Denoir, but Renea seemed utterly unphased. She tilted her head slightly, observing the tense heir to my side. "Lord Denoir," she said smoothly. "Forgive me for not introducing myself to you first, as befits your station. But I have information that I believe Lord Daen would appreciate."

Sevren narrowed his eyes. "I've heard much about you, Lady Shorn," he said. "Even in the Central Dominion, your mercantile success is acknowledged. But Toren is correct. We need to get our accolades scanned."

Dark eyes flicked back to me. "Understandable," she said slowly and sympathetically. "But I come with an opportunity, Lord Daen, one that I think you would be remiss to pass up."

"And what would that be?" I asked, feeling a bit of genuine curiosity at her hinting words.

Renea Shorn smiled slightly. Those pristine white teeth of hers, framed against the midnight black of her navy-streaked hair, looked like a light amidst the moonlit sky. "Your hometown has been struggling against the Vicar of Plague for several weeks now, hasn't it?" she said, gaining my full attention. "I believe there is something I can do to fix that."

I walked with Sevren Denoir amidst Renea Shorn's escort retinue. Their lockstep march was perfect, and I wondered how much protection they truly were. Even though each of these guards had saved my life at one time, I felt imprisoned.

We were walking toward some sort of cafe or restaurant in the Relictombs, following Renea Shorn as she directed us to a supposedly secure meeting place.

"You shouldn't have agreed to talk so quickly," Sevren said from my side. "She was trying to get you to drop all we were doing. It gives more precedential power in whatever negotiation she's got cooked up."

I muffled Sevren's words with sound magic, creating a small link between the two of us. I ground my teeth slightly, knowing he was right. "She knew what to say to get my attention," I said. "I told you I have enemies, Sevren. Mardeth has been coating my home with his shadow for far too long, and I don't have a way to get him out."

Sevren gave me a look that I couldn't read. "I wondered what could've damaged your dagger so badly," he said. "If you've clashed with Mardeth before..." the young mage shook his head, his brilliant white locks swaying. "Regardless, I'd rather have Mardeth as a foe than Renea Shorn."

That got my attention. The leader of Bloodstone Elixirs didn't ooze power like Mardeth or command your attention as his killing intent required. Instead, facing her felt like squaring off against a snake in the grass. But surely Mardeth was a worse foe. "Why do you think that?" I asked, wanting to know more. My knowledge of the woman was sparse and mottled. Sevren Denoir, being privy to highborn circles, probably knew more than me.

"When I said her exploits are famed, that wasn't an exaggeration," he said. "She's got branch stores of her potion company in nearly every major city in Alacrya. And their creation all followed a pattern: most of the would-be competition collapsed in on itself weeks before her own crew set up shop. I don't have proof, but rumors abound that she sabotages potential enemies before they can stop her, then sets up her own business as a monopoly." Sevren ground his teeth. "I'll try and offer any assistance I can. But the majority of Highblood Denoir's resources won't be given to me without a good explanation."