"Oops, where are my manners?" Carmen interrupted Willow's thoughts. "What'll it be? Coffee or your usual milk tea?"

"Milk tea sounds awesome. Thanks."

Carmen grinned. "Sure thing. Be right back. Feel free to check things out. Give me a holler if there's anything you want changed."

"No worries," Willow reassured her, eager to pitch in and be part of something that made her heart flutter. "I've got it covered."

Willow felt the back of her neck prickle after Carmen left, sensing someone's eyes on her. Though when she turned around to see who it was, she found no one. It was as if she had imagined the whole eerie feeling.

Strange. She always thought she was good at perceiving such things.

Perhaps it was nothing. It could be her paranoia playing tricks on her. After that incident with James, she always felt vulnerable whenever she was left alone. She wouldn't admit that, of course, not wanting to worry anyone on her behalf. But the anxiety was always there, the thought that no place could ever be safer.

Willow ran a hand through her hair and decided to focus on lending a hand and helping Carmen organize the dinner. She didn't know what the occasion was—not that it mattered. As long as all of them were together, she could ask for nothing more.

* * *

Finally, the time for the celebration arrived.

The sky had darkened and several cars started pulling up in the driveway. The Logans were a huge family, with brothers, sisters, uncles, and aunts living all around the world. It was extremely rare for all of them to gather in one place, but it seemed Carmen and Ronin had made it possible—the exception that brought Willow another burst of happiness.

She watched as family members poured out of the cars, their laughter and chatter filling the air with warmth and excitement. She greeted familiar faces with hugs and smiles, heading for the garden where the preparations for dinner and drinks were being made.

And then she saw him: Ronin, in the flesh. She couldn't believe her eyes.

He was actually there, very much alive, as he walked in and joined the party, greeting the first person he stumbled upon.

Willow couldn't move. She couldn't blink. She couldn't even think.

Her eyes welled up, and her heart felt as if it couldn't be more pleased.

Back when she woke up from the coma and heard of his death, she remembered the way her heart had broken. She remembered the pain no medicine or therapist in the world could ease.

He was like a beacon of her sanity, and she was terribly happy to have him back.

When Ronin's gaze fell on her, his handsome face split into a wider smile.

"Look who finally decided to show up," he said to her, heading over to where she stood near the table and engulfing her lean frame in his strong arms.

Warm. That's how she felt. Home. That's what he smelled like.

"You know me," she quipped, pulling away. "Never one to turn down free food and drinks."

He chuckled, the sound a melody to her ears. He shook his head. "Dad and Eric are still on their way. Enjoy the drinks and food until I hop into a quick shower and join you."

She smirked, swirling the drink in her hand. "Sure. But don't blame me if you end up with only leftovers. I tend to have a huge appetite after a few glasses of wine."