vii. struggles - ky

Shifting in my bed, I pressed my eyes closed, hoping they would seal shut for just another hour and bring me back to sleep

Shifting in my bed, I pressed my eyes closed, hoping they would seal shut for just another hour and bring me back to sleep. But everything felt uncomfortable all of a sudden. Whether I lay on my side, stomach, or on my back, I couldn't fall back asleep, and I hated it. I hated it because my head ached, not to mention the annoying sound of the coffee machine brewing in the kitchen.

With a groan, I reached for my phone lying next to me, checking the time and immediately getting a warning since it was left on 5%. The bright, artificial light almost sent me into another dimension, my eyes hurting like hell. The more awake I became, the more uncomfortable I felt. It stank, so badly, and I was all hot and sweaty. What the fuck was going on?

I also realized I was still dressed in that black button-up I chose to wear, and my wide jeans were zipped down as I sat up and ran my fingers through my hair. For a moment, I just sat there, the beep of the coffee machine signaling that the coffee was ready and with that, that I had to get up.

So I did. Stepping on my heel, I felt my legs weaken as they met the floor. I searched for my slippers, feeling frustrated when I couldn't find them, and walked towards the door, opening it to my relief. It was cloudy as heck outside, meaning no sunlight could cast through. By the counter, I could see Alex, looking put together with his coffee already in hand, sipping on it as he inspected me.

"Took you long enough," he remarked, tilting his head in my direction, breathing through his nose. For a moment, I just stood there, too tired to answer or think. Why was he here? I had no clue, but I didn't even bother asking at this point.

"Here's your coffee," he said, pointing at it with a faint head tilt before yet another beep echoed, signaling that the toasts were ready. "You're looking fucking awful," he commented, his nose crinkling. "And you stink too."

"Noticed," was all I said as I took a seat on the stool and sipped on my coffee while he prepared both of our toast with jam.

"You went pretty wild last night, thought you wanted to stay tipsy and not drunk," he remarked casually, spreading jam on the toast. I just stared at the way he did it, how smooth he was with it. Alex Jeon, a man who could manage it all. He was my role model, although I'd never tell him that.

"Yeah, went a bit overboard," I admitted, massaging my temples before I took a sip of the hot coffee. Alex's suspicious gaze didn't go unnoticed, and I couldn't help but sense something was off. "Something up?" I asked, feeling a pang of anxiety creeping over me.

He shrugged nonchalantly, but his eyes held a hint of concern. "I don't know, you tell me," he replied cryptically, and in that moment, my heart skipped a beat.

Did he see something? I hadn't done anything wild, just a little make-out session in the storage room with Ava, nothing more.

I let out a nervous laugh, trying to play it cool. "I don't know what you're hinting at," I said, finishing up my coffee and placing it in the sink before heading towards the bathroom.
"Where are you going? You look like you're running away from something," Alex remarked, his tone firm, making me feel like a scolded child.