I lifted my cup up to my lips, surprised to find it empty already. "Hold up, I'm gonna go get more," I said, standing up. "Be right back."

I walked away from the couch and back towards the kitchen. I started to sway around a bit, bumping into the people behind me. Maybe I made my drink stronger than I thought. 

I made it to the kitchen, finding Colton still standing there, chatting with some of the boys. A few girls stood around them, trying to catch their attention. I watched the other guys occasionally look back, feeding into the flattery. Colton stayed glued to the floor, eyes locked with whatever guy he was talking to, arms crossed over his chest. 

I walked up cautiously, wanting to refill my drink but also not wanting to interrupt.  I set my cup down quietly, reaching for the Tito's once more. My fingers fumbled with the handle, accidentally clanking the jar against the counter. Loudly. 

Colton whipped his head around. "Jo?" he asked. I looked up sheepishly. 

"Heyyy," I giggled. "Just filling up my cup, that's all." 

Colton looked at me, confused. "Are you... drunk? Already?"

I laughed. "No, no, I'm just in a good mood." I grinned widely, the mix of alcohol and hormones making me more giddy than ever. 

Colton chuckled. "Right, I forgot you had those." 

I scowled, shooing him away as I poured my drink. He laughed, turning back to his friends. 

I finished my pour, making sure not to add too much vodka this time. I looked around for my friends, expecting to see them in the same spot. However, a group of completely unrecognizable people sat where they once were. Huh.

I looked around the room, but couldn't spot any of them. I pulled out my phone, sending a quick text to the group chat. 

Well, what to do now. 

I looked around awkwardly. I didn't want to make a scene around Colton's group - I didn't want to come across as clingy. But at the same time, he was about the only other person I knew. 

As if sensing my discomfort, I felt Colton behind me, placing a hand on my arm.

"Princess, come meet my friends," he purred in my ear. Sir, yes sir. 

He pulled me in next to him in their circle, introducing me to the rest of the group. I vaguely recognized one of the guys, JP. I was pretty sure I'd met them before. The rest were a mystery to me. 

They continued chatting, using terms I didn't know but I assumed pertained to hockey. Colton kept his arm wrapped around me, squeezing me every so often to remind me he was still there. I was shocked he was publicly declaring me like this, but secretly, I loved it. The jealous part of me hoped all the girls around us would see this and steer clear. I really needed to work on these jealousy issues.

I noticed Colton wasn't very engaged in the conversation. I looked up, finding him already smiling down at me. I smiled back.

"You look good tonight, you know," he said quietly, loud enough for only me to hear. I felt my cheeks heat up.

"Thank you," I smiled. And I meant it - I often found it hard to take compliments, but for some reason, Colton made me feel like he really meant it. Either I was the most gullible person on Earth, or he was truly something special. 

***

The rest of the night was spent walking around, saying hi to people Colton knew. It made me feel small, seeing how popular he was, yet I seemed to know no one. But he made a point of introducing me to every person I met. It made my damn uterus smile. 

Around midnight, I noticed the party take a turn, everyone slightly more drunk and unhinged. Suddenly, Colton and I were getting practically ran over by the crowd. Or rather, I was - everyone that bumped into Colton seemed to bounce right off.

The crowd had gotten louder, and somehow half the guys had taken their shirts off. It was a gross, sweaty mess. 

"This has gotten out of hand," Colton finally admitted. He had pulled up aside by the staircase, where we currently surveyed the crowd. I nodded in agreement. 

"Do you wanna go back up to mine?" Colton asked. 

I thought about it for a second. "It'll probably be just as loud up there," I said finally. I saw Colton shoulders sag slightly, and I realized I misspoke. 

Then, I got a bright idea. "Why don't we go to mine?"

Colton looked at me, grinning widely. "You're the smartest person I know, Princess."

***

A/N: So another little filler chapter, but we're leading up to something I SWEAR!!