Chapter Sixteen | Shaw

⊳⊱  ♕  ⊰⊲

⊳⊱ ♕ ⊰⊲

A blaring alarm shattered the oppressive silence, casting the once sterile halls into a pulsating crimson hue. Elijah's eyes remained fixed on the security screens, absorbing the destruction unfolding before him.

With a flicker of satisfaction, he observed as every door within the facility slid open, and the detaining collars, instruments of control and suppression, disengaged one by one, setting the children free from their ethereal chains. In that pivotal moment of realization, the children ceased their internal strife, their unified purpose clear—they were no longer victims but warriors, poised to reclaim their stolen freedom.

Elijah wasted no time in action, his resolve firm and unwavering. His priority was clear: locate Doctor Shaw and aid the escape of as many children as possible.

With Zoe and Jake in tow, he navigated the labyrinthine corridors with practised ease, his familiarity with the layout of these facilities proving invaluable. As they approached the imposing double doors that guarded the chamber of captivity, a scene of primal chaos greeted them—a battleground where demons and lycans clashed against their captors, each blow struck a resounding echo of liberation.

Zoe frowned nervously as they got closer to the battle. "O-okay, I don't think I'm ready to fight these—"

"Just stay close," Elijah snapped, cutting her off.

With a furious snarl, the demon surged into the hall, seizing the throat of the nearest guard with a swift, calculated motion. He savagely crushed the man's windpipe, discarding the lifeless body with contempt.

Leading the charge down the corridor, mayhem unfolded in his wake. Crimson streams painted the pristine walls and floors as the detainers futilely brandished their electric prods, but the shackles of weakness that once bound the children were gone, unleashing a primal fury that rendered the guards as mere obstacles in their path. Among them, innocence stripped away by circumstance, some as tender as five years old, became avatars of vengeance, tearing through their oppressors with ferocity.

"Head for the exit," Elijah said to one of the kids as he grabbed the man she was trying to fight. The demon tore the guy apart and pointed back the way he'd come. "Go!"

She nodded and raced in the direction he showed her, and once they'd killed the guards that they were each battling, the rest of the kids followed.

"Where are we gonna find this guy?" Jake called before shifting into his leopard form and pouncing at a detainer; he pinned the man down, and Elijah mercilessly stomped his foot on his head, crushing it.

The explosion of blood and brain matter made Zoe gag, and Elijah rolled his eyes at her.

"This way," the demon said as he made his way past the last of the fleeing kids and towards a wide door at the end of the corridor. He knew that there were more subjects trapped deeper within the facility, and he'd do his best to assist them.