You're impossible

Start from the beginning

"I've been down, believe me," I said and she gazed up at me with those bloodshot eyes. "You have no idea the places I had been before you entered my life, so determined to help me."

She continued to look at me as tears trickled down her cheeks. Lilith's gaze is always so yearning, yearning of something anyone has yet to fulfill: unconditional affection and reassurance that she'll never be left behind again.

"If you hadn't intervened," my finger raised to caress her cheekbone "I would've probably killed myself or would've been killed on one of my benders, but then you appeared in my life."

"You walked into my club," she sniffled.

"Mhm," I hummed "I did."

"You looked awful."

I smiled "I did, thank you."

"Well, you did," she sniffled. "I mean, better than the day I had to take you in like a stray cat."

I raised an eyebrow "Is there a point to your insults?"

She shook her head "Just pointing out the truth."

I hummed, wiping one of her tears away "Lilith, tell me what you need from me."

She rested her head on my chest "Right now, I just need you to stay here with me for another five minutes."

"And after?"

Lilith shrugged "I made it sad again...I really thought it was going to be you who made it sad again."

I smiled "You can't always win, sweetheart."

"Stop smiling whilst I'm crying," she said. "At least be miserable with me."

"I've got nothing to cry about at this very moment."

Lilith pulled away and looked at me. Then, out of nowhere, she pinched my nipple "Ow!" I pushed her hand away.

"There, at least you're in pain now," she lay her head on my shoulder and brought her knees close to her chest.

My nipple was awfully sore, pulsating with pain "We'll make things right, Lilith, even if we have to cry every day for the rest of our lives," my hand gently rested on her knee.

"At least you'll cry knowing your boss is understanding," she pointed out, resting her hand atop mine.

I looked her way and she almost immediately looked at me "Will you give me a day off if I just feel like crying?"

"A day without me? Impossible. I'll take you for ice cream, but I'll never leave you if you're crying, I couldn't possibly."

I lightly smiled "I'll make you pasta and pour you champagne."

"Oh thank God for you," she giggled and squeezed my hand.

"I can thank Camilo for that," I brought her hand to my lips and kissed it.

"It was his idea but you should thank me," she told.

"And I do, believe me," I assured. "Every time I come to the realization I'm having a good day, or even just a good couple of minutes, I remind myself of your presence in my life and how lucky I am."

Lilith smiled as she looked away "You're being—"

"Look at me," I softly said and she did so. "I like it when you look at me."

"I like the way you look at me," she replied, playing with my fingers. "No one has ever looked at me the way you do."

After holding her for thirty minutes, she fell asleep. I made sure Lilith was covered up to her neck, just as she likes it — it makes her feel shielded.