Chapter Seventeen | Loose Ends

⊳⊱  ♕  ⊰⊲

⊳⊱ ♕ ⊰⊲

When they reached the surface, emerging into the radio station, Elijah handed the kid he'd carried up the stairs to two of the older escaping subjects. He watched them all hurry out of the building, some sticking together, others running off on their own, and once the last of them were out, he closed the door and broke the lock. If there were any guards or detainers left alive down there, they weren't getting out.

"Zoe," Jake called.

Elijah turned his attention to the pardus and the girl. Jake, who'd found a satellite phone on one of the tables, handed it to Zoe.

She put the laptop she'd taken from Shaw's office onto the chair beside her. But just as she was about to start dialling a number, she hesitated. "Wait, I can't call my dads because then I'll have to tell them what I'm doing out here," she said with a frown. "I'll call Masterton."

"Who's Masterton?" Elijah questioned.

"My family lawyer," Zoe answered as she dialled the number. "He can...no." She sighed and lowered the phone. "My dads will know that it was one of us," she mumbled to herself.

Elijah frowned irritably—

"What about Lucian?" Jake suggested.

A look of disgust warped the girl's face.

"You can just tell him you were on social media and saw a video or something," the pardus suggested.

Zoe looked reluctant.

"We don't have time to stand around," Elijah then said. "The longer you take, the less time we have to get the fuck away from here."

"All right," she exclaimed, huffing. With an irritated sigh, she dialled the number on the phone and held it to her ear.

It rang...and rang....

"What?" came Lucian's annoyed voice.

With a horrified look on her face, Zoe immediately hung up.

Elijah scowled at her.

"What's wrong?" Jake asked her.

"Sorry," she said to Elijah, shaking her head. "He's just kinda intense sometimes; I'm just a little anxious."

"Just get on with it," he snarled.

Zoe nodded and redialled the number. She held the phone to her ear and nervously fiddled with her hair.

"What?" came Lucian's voice again, and this time, he was angry.

"Uh..." Zoe responded, wide-eyed.

A long sigh reverberated through the phone. "Oh, my God, of course it's you. What do you want?"

"I need you to do me a favour, but please don't tell anybody that you got this information from me, okay? I don't care what you say, it just didn't come from me," the girl insisted.