Ch. X ✡Company Of Shadows✡

✡✡✡
FEW NIGHTS LATER...
✡✡✡

A WORLD OF BLACK SURROUNDS YOU, simply two candelabras lit just to be able to view the morsels of food on your plate as you sit at the table made of pure polished obsidian, with a black and silver chandelier hanging above your head, decorated with that of a spider's web. Your plate remains barely touched, your eyes simply staring into the meal of mashed potatoes, along with a few roasted vegetables, the main course a slice of wine-soaked meat.

You don't feel hungry tonight, nor have you really felt hungry--though the smell of the finely cooked dinner was mouthwatering to say the least, you barely took a bite.

You haven't entirely been feeling yourself ever since that night you and Alastor played a hand of poker, ultimately ending with the two of you confessing secrets about each other's mothers. Though if you want to be honest, there was more that weighed heavy on your mind rather than the last moment you spent with Alastor at the stroke of midnight.

Andrealphus was another existence that lingers in your head, at times when you don't want it to be so. You had only met him once weeks ago--which you are thankful for. One meeting is enough to last a lifetime for you--though since that day, Andrealphus thought it wise to be sending not only letters on an every-other-day basis, but also gifts. Like blue and white roses, or sapphire necklaces.

Blue doesn't entirely suit you. It...clashed your natural colors of your hair, skin, and eyes. And as extravagant as those necklaces are---and the fact that for anyone else, they would cherish such gifts--you find yourself tossing them into drawers and closets, wanting to forget them entirely and not look back.

If under different circumstances, you would have treasured such jewels, though you know better. A prince like Andrealphus with his fancy word letters, his sweet, scented flowers, and his rare jewels of beauty...all his gifts are to win your love. A love you find yourself unable to give to him, or to anyone else.

Maybe you should give the necklaces to Charlie? To not feel as bad...they are grand gifts, worthy of royalty. Such gems like that shouldn't be tossed carelessly to the corner, much like you've been doing to each, and every jewel given to you.

But...what is the point?

Zestial's eyes glance towards your direction, his fingers holding a forkful of his last bite of the dinner, as he searches your face questioningly. You've appeared to have been out of sorts lately, as if something was troubling your heart and mind.

Swallowing his bite, Zestial speaks. "Art thou not hungry?"

You shake your head, hands curling a little as they are placed in between your legs. Strange...you always made attempts to finish your meals, this is unusual behavior for you, so much so that Zestial can't help but pry for details.

"Thou art distressed. Whatever causes it to be so, my spiderling?"

Spiderling...a nickname he would always call you when you were small, and a nickname rarely heard in your adult years.

You glance at him, debating in your head whether or not if you should be honest as to what your thoughts are. But truly...what's the point of being honest when no one will hear you, and merely tell you what you feel is wrong, and try to tell you to feel like they do?

Something you begin to feel is happening between you and your father when it comes to this plan for arranged marriage.

Instead, you inhale a breath, your eyes shutting as you speak. A truth...yet a lie at the same time.