CHAPTER 6 : YOU GROW UP

The news about the war in Dongo dominated every channel, with leaked footage amplifying the fear among the populace. Naret, consumed by worry, spent hours glued to the news, his anxiety palpable. His demeanor shifted noticeably, and his subordinates took note, especially Alan, his right-hand man. Alan, utilizing his connections in the government camp, arranged for Naret to speak with Tin, knowing how much Naret cared for him. Despite his concern, Naret was hesitant to disrupt Tin's mission or reveal his emotions, but Alan understood the depth of Naret's worry.

Meanwhile, Tin barely had three hours of sleep since arriving in Dongo. Bomb disposal missions were constant, and attacks occurred daily. Tin's team always found themselves on the frontline, facing danger head-on. One day, soldiers gathered in the Canda Street area of Dongo, clearing civilians from the vicinity. With a tight deadline, Tin approached a bomb attached to a child, reassuring them before swiftly disarming the device.

Tin: "Don't be scared. I won't leave you."
Child: sniffling, stops crying
Tin: holding the child tightly "Time's running out. Are you ready to be a hero?"
Child: nods, a faint smile forming

With only minutes remaining, Tin deftly disconnected the bomb's trigger, ensuring the child's safety. As the explosion rocked the area, Tin shielded the child from harm, but not without consequence. A sharp object struck Tin's back, causing him to falter as they were propelled away by the blast. Despite his fading consciousness, Tin's last thoughts were of the child's safety

Alan's knock interrupted Naret in his office, where days of sleepless work had left him fatigued. Alan handed him a radio, a lifeline to connect with the area where Tin was stationed. Naret, surprised, inquired how Alan managed to secure it. Alan explained he found a way to establish a connection, emphasizing the urgency of reaching Tin.

Taking the radio, Naret set out to contact Tin, given the absence of traditional signals in Dongo. Alan guided him on the procedure, pointing to a makeshift setup. Naret, determined, repeatedly called Tin's area, desperate for a response. Finally, a peacemaker named Kenta answered, revealing that Tin's team was on the frontline, patrolling the war-torn Dongo.

Naret, deeply concerned, asked for Tin's whereabouts. Kenta informed him that Tin and the team were currently on the frontline, guarding the war area. Anxiously, Naret learned they might not return until later that night, as they were assigned to monitor the camp's front gate.

After ending the call, Naret lowered the radio slowly, his hands trembling. Overwhelmed with worry, he bowed his head, clutching it with both hands, a mix of fear and sadness evident on his face.
As Tin awoke in the hospital camp, he felt the soreness across his body. Sensing a gentle touch, he looked at his hand to find Roland, the young boy he rescued, still asleep, holding onto his hand. Tin smiled and gently stroked the boy's head, coaxing him awake. Roland, delighted to find Tin awake, greeted him with a joyful hug.

Sitting up, Tin lifted Roland and settled him on the bed. He asked the boy about himself, discovering that Roland was 11 years old and an orphan. The boy's name was Roland, and Tin couldn't help but feel a sense of responsibility and connection to him. Roland, with a genuine smile, expressed his gratitude, appreciating the comfort and safety Tin provided.

Just then, Peter, one of Tin's comrades, entered the room, holding a playful demeanor. He teased Tin about adopting every child he came across. Unfazed, Tin humorously tossed a pillow at Peter, emphasizing his determination to ensure the safety of those in need.

Peter then shared a somber revelation – Roland's parents had been casualties of a terrorist attack. Tin's expression shifted, understanding the weight of the situation. He decided there and then to take Roland under his wing, promising to bring him home once the mission was completed.