xv. audition n hawaii - duo pov

It had been about two weeks, and I was more than certain that I was ready to audition

It had been about two weeks, and I was more than certain that I was ready to audition. My body felt ready, my mind focused. Gripping the wheel tightly, I drove through the bustling streets of Soule. It was around five pm, the time when the working people were making their way home, filling the streets with a chaos that was reminding me of my own nerves.

As the day progressed, the realization sank in that if I were to win this audition, my financial worries would decrease an awful lot. And exactly this thought both motivated and terrified me.

"Hey," Ava called gently from beside me, her phone in one hand and her bag grasped tightly in the other. I could feel her gaze on me.

I chuckled, trying to shake off my nerves as I steered towards the building. I had almost forgotten what it felt like to have this much at stake.

Sure, I had danced for bigger artists before, but dancing for someone like Kai was on another level entirely. To say I was nervous would be an understatement.

"You know they're pretty laid back there," Ava reminded me, her voice reassuring. "It's not as bad as you think. It'll get easier once you're inside."

"I know," I replied, my voice tinged with a hint of uncertainty, but her words brought some comfort. "It's just- it's nothing."

"Ky, hey- it's normal to feel this way," Ava said, her smile warm. "You did take quite a long break for a dancer. But that break doesn't take away your talent. In fact, having a clean reputation can work in your favor. You know, the bigger you get as a dancer, the harder it is to find background jobs because they worry you might steal the spotlight."

I couldn't help but let out a small chuckle, feeling a bit lighter as I poked my inner cheek with my tongue, still focusing on the road ahead. Ava was spot on.

Having a clean or basically non-existent reputation could indeed be a stroke of luck, a little charm that worked in your favor. But dancing for Kai? THE Kai? It felt like stepping into something completely absurd. Even just being in his presence made my nerves all jittery.

"Plus, I danced for him once," Ava said softly, her voice carrying a gentle reassurance. "With Kai," she added.

"I know," I replied, trying to echo her soft tone. "I know," I repeated.

How could I forget? She practically stole the show, looking absolutely stunning during that performance. I must have watched that footage at least a hundred times by now.

"He's pretty nice, you know," Ava admitted, her tone thoughtful. "He doesn't feel like a celebrity at all. He feels... human. Like someone you can actually talk to."

Feeling Ava's being this calm beside me, and reassured by her words about Kai, I felt myself slowly easing into a sense of calmness. It was as if her perspective had an effect on my all so jittery nerves.