Chapter 120: What Makes One Dangerous

Toren Daen

Sevren slowly uncrossed his legs, tossing his apple core behind him. He flourished Promise, the red-patterned dagger flashing before he sheathed it at his side. He moved near my side in a gesture of silent support.

I saw the cause of the ruckus in a few seconds. A squadron of mages bullied their way to the front of my surroundings, their faces set with iron.

They stopped as they finally saw me.

I recognized a few of the families confronting me. Blood Jasper, Farriver, and Ilason's sigils stood proudly on puffed-out chests, along with a few I didn't recognize.

I scanned the men at the forefront. They'd worked with the Joans a few months back using their warehouses to store blithe.

And the Rats and I had burned their supply depots to the ground. The man with slicked-back hair sneered at me silently, but that sneer quickly turned to something more indecisive as he locked eyes with Sevren Denoir. The other mages were similarly uncertain upon witnessing the Denoir heir. "Lord Denoir," the Jasper man said, bowing slightly. "We were just here to confront this mage for breaking the law. If you would be so kind to assist us..."

They didn't expect the heir to Highblood Denoir to be here, I thought. Then just like what I'm planning, it's become a spur-of-the-moment action. By actually managing to play my music, I probably disrupted whatever plan they had in place.

Sevren's eyes narrowed. "I doubt my friend Toren broke any laws," he said, annunciating the word friend. "But if you want to levy accusations, go ahead. I'll listen."

The air churned with sudden apprehension. The mages were getting cold feet at Sevren's subtle declaration of support. The Jasper man glanced toward me, a burning hatred in his eyes. But also a note of uncertainty.

"They can't be allowed to hesitate," Aurora said. "Should they retreat, they'll form a more comprehensive plan for another confrontation. Spur them onward. Make them reckless."

I tilted my head. "I think I recognize that symbol on your chest," I said, looking at the Jasper man quizzically. I pretended to rack my brain. "Ah, you're of Blood Jasper, yes?" I asked. "I remember seeing your symbol on a warehouse."

The man's nostrils flared as his apprehension swirled down the drain. "Toren Daen," he said imperiously. "You are going to accompany us to the Supervisory Center and confess to your crimes."

I got ready to speak, but Lord Morthelm interjected. "And what crimes would those be?" he asked, shifting so he was slightly in front of me. "You cannot make accusations without due cause."

"Lord Daen has violated the Emotional Spellform Act of 1654," the Jasper man snapped, clearly irritated that I hadn't made a move to concede. "Manipulating the emotions of the masses without signing a waiver is illegal. And how many hundreds have been subjected to this?"

Many of the people watching the confrontation from afar mumbled nervously. As far as they were aware, I had broken some sort of law. But I was dismayed by the flash of greed in the eyes of not a few.

Lord Renton laid a firm hand on my shoulder, like a father does with their son to hold him back. "That may be unwise to press for so openly, Lord Jasper," the broad highlord said. "Considering you would be matching lawyers with those of Bloodstone Elixirs and Highblood Denoir." He gave me a covert, conniving smile. "And perhaps those of Highblood Morthelm as well, depending on how the wind blows."

"I see his angle," Aurora said, her melodic voice simmering. "He thinks you naive. Impressionable."

"Then we will have all the financial compensation we shall need for the wrong you have done us," the Jasper man rasped. "Bloodstone Elixirs and Highblood Denoir have more than enough funds to address this violation. The High Hall would love this case."