Episode 3: The sadistic cabbie strikes again!

A minute later, I collapse like a rag doll on the back seat of the taxi. Inside, there's a strong scent of air freshener. I think it's something with a fir essence. December, you know.

"What's that?" I quickly say. "A hotel? Wait for me here. Right here! I'll try to get a room in this hotel, but don't leave yet. Here, take some money."

The hotel feels very familiar, I know it well. I've passed by it thousands of times in my life, but I never thought I'd see what it looks like inside.

Actually, I don't even get the chance to see what it looks like inside. The guys at the reception claim I'm too drunk. What?

I curse as I step outside, landing on my stomach (December, you know!), but I get up the next second. The fall and the cold air wake me up.

I get back into the car and critically eye the meter flashing mockingly. The fare keeps rising, my patience dwindling.

"What pigs! Fuck! Take me to another hotel. The nearest one."

I grumble subtly, and now the car no longer smells like fir needles. I stretch out on the back seat. The car drives smoothly, and I kind of like being rocked, but I don't have time to doze off before we stop at another hotel.

Another hotel, same story.

"You diploma-wielding idiots!" I mutter as I sprawl out on the seat again.

I give up looking at the meter. The driver is silent but cracks his window open a bit. The draft is cold. Is he dim or what?

At the third hotel, the receptionist and the entrance guard almost get into a fight with me. I avoid a beating but leave them with two fewer buttons. I glare at the meter with the eyes of a criminal and sink into silence.

"So, where to now?" the cabbie asks with a serene face.

Yeah, right, ass hole! You look serene, sure! You probably think you'll just drive me from one hotel to another all day and make your earnings off me. Well, it's not going to happen!

Now I can easily imagine what hell looks like. Hell is a place where a damned cabbie with a serene face drives you around parking lots and hotels, and at the end of the day tells you how much it costs.

They're in cahoots, I bet. You're all in it together, you bastards! In this town, hotel receptionists and cab drivers are in cahoots, and at the end of the day, they count their earnings twice.

"I don't know where else to go," I say. "Let me think for a bit."

"Okay, buddy. It's your money."

"Do you understand any of this hotel nonsense? I keep trying to give them my money, and they act like lunatics. When I think that I've lived my whole life in this town, it makes me go crazy! Two-bit hotels..."

"Well, if you're from here, why don't we go to your place?" he asks, raising an eyebrow.

"I sold my apartment today for sixty-one... uhh... whatever."

"Ah, I see," he says. He looks thoughtful, sighs, and says consolingly, "I think I know a smaller hotel, with more... relaxed pretensions. Want me to take you there?"

How could I refuse? The man is my savior! Long live the cabbies!

The car starts, I sink into the soft seat, and I probably fall asleep. I dream I'm in Dubai or Thailand on a sunny beach. I'm sitting on a sun lounger, sipping from a glass with a straw, and reading a newspaper. On the front page, in bold letters:

"HORRIBLE!

The sadistic cabbie strikes again!

The beast robbed his customer, who had just sold his apartment, then sold him to organ traffickers who extracted both kidneys!

Continued on page 2."

"Oh my God, Jesus! Heeelp!"

I sit up screaming, banging my head on the taxi's ceiling, and almost fall back asleep. The driver slams on the brakes. The car squeaks from all its joints. This time, my head sinks into the front seat.

The cabbie turns to me with wide eyes.

"Are you insane?" he shouts, spitting as he talks. "Why are you screaming out of nowhere like that? You want to kiss a tree? Damn it! This is what I get for picking up all you wretches."

I massage my temples and forehead, shake my head, and realize that even the last molecule of alcohol has vanished from my brain.

"I dreamed, man, stop yelling like that, my head hurts. Uhh... turn the car around. Let's look for other hotels."

"No way, I'm not turning the car around. I'm not turning anything! Pay up now and get the hell out of here!"

I take out the money and pay him. I notice he calms down a bit, and I feel like I got off easy. And suddenly, the best idea I've ever had in my life hits me.

"I... I found one," I stutter.

"What?"

"I know exactly where we're going. Turn the car around, please."

"Where are we going?"

"Don't you get it? Take me to the airport. I'm going to Dubai!"

"To Dubai?"

"Or to Thailand... I don't know. I'll figure it out."

The driver crosses himself, but I feel like I've won. The engine starts, and my journey to Dubai begins.

Or Thailand... damn it!