Episode 11: I just hate little boys!

The bus stops right next to the airplane's stairs.

Oh my God, this iron bird is huge. It's the first time I'm so close to an airplane, and the spectacle is overwhelming. My knees go weak. I barely manage to climb the stairs.

"Welcome aboard!"

Wow, my first stewardess! She's so cute! Here's an excellent opportunity to practice my English a bit.

"Hel-lo... I'm glad to be flying. Umm... I haven't flown before. I confess it's my first time. Basically, I'm a beg... beginner! Will you be gentle with me, ok?"

The stewardess smiles at me, but she doesn't seem too eager to chat. Just smiles. I smile back stupidly. She smiles at me again. 

Clearly: today is the day of smiles and grins. Smiles at the airport, smiles on the plane. Probably smiles even in the closet, if I ever get there.

I stand still and stare in awe at her uniform. It fits her perfectly. The woman briefly looks at the ticket and points me where to go. I continue to smile stupidly and thank her, then move forward through the rows with my mouth stretched ear to ear like a child walking through a store who has discovered a whole new section of toys.

Phew... it's the first time I see an airplane from the inside! It seems quite solid. I'm sure it won't crash. It's built sturdy. 

Wait a minute, Tiberiu! And the Titanic was built sturdy too... Eh! Nonsense!

I smile at my dark-skinned neighbor on the left, I smile at her little one, smiling at every passenger who enters the plane row by row. Everything is wonderful. If I had known how cool it is on a plane, I would have flown more often.

"Boy or girl?"

"Boy," the neighbor replies.

Damn it, I hate boys! 

Girls are cute. They look at you with their peaceful eyes, sleep, coo, in a word, mind their own business. Boys, however, are a different story. Boys scream, cry, have colic, vomit, and poop every half hour. 

And then they need changing.

I haven't had children, but you don't need to have children to know this. Just spend an hour in a public park on a sunny day when moms stroll their darlings along the paths.

You don't hear much from the pink strollers. But from the blue ones, you hear whimpering and screams that would freeze the blood in the veins of even the most experienced exorcist.

But... oh well! If I have to stay here, I'll stay here. I lean towards my neighbor and whisper:

"Don't worry. Everything will be fine. I bet we'll arrive safely in Thailand and this plane won't crash."