Episode 13: Go Big or Go Home

The Chiang Mai Airport isn't much bigger than the one back home

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

The Chiang Mai Airport isn't much bigger than the one back home. However, it's much more crowded.

What scares me is that every creature here seems to know exactly what to do and in which direction to go. 

Unlike me.

I need to find something to do. I need to get rid of this feeling of being an abandoned child. It annoys me.

I line up at the currency exchange counter. It takes about ten minutes to change a hundred dollars. In exchange, I get about three thousand Thai baht, which rustles quietly in my palm.

The five hundred baht bills are pink. There's a guy with glasses and a side part looking at me from them. I don't know who he is, but I guess he's some big shot here. The Thai script looks like mating worms, and I think it would take me about ten years just to learn the alphabet.

 The Thai script looks like mating worms, and I think it would take me about ten years just to learn the alphabet

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Enough with the longing! Courage, Tiberiu!

Do something!

I see a guy in uniform nearby and ask where I need to go and who I need to kiss up to in order to get a visa to enter Thailand. The man points me to a counter.

Another counter? Everything works on counters here?

But I worried for nothing, it's simple! I fill out the form. Fortunately, it's not written with worms.

"Welcome to Thailand!"

The smiling man reads the form, compares my details with those in my passport, and in less than two minutes, I receive a beautiful stamp on one of the passport pages. It doesn't hurt, but on this occasion, the Thai state relieves me of two of my pink bills.

Now I really don't know what to do next. I've already exhausted all my ideas.

I go outside. This bustling crowd of people and cars has a way of scaring me. In front of the airport, there are a million flags of all colors. Honking in many tones and a downright Chinese language. Here and there, I hear a bit of French, but I can't pinpoint exactly from which direction.