Episode 15: Where the devil weaned his children!

I sit at the table, take a sip from my beer can, and study the map I bought from a trinkets and souvenirs stand carefully

My journalist taxi driver was right. Phuket is way out there, somewhere in the south.

At this hour, I've missed the flight to Phuket. All I can do is wait for the next one. 

I'm scheduled to board in three hours, so I have plenty of time to study the map and think about how and in what way I'll torture that bartender, if I ever come back home.

What a scoundrel! If he were an honest man, he could have warned me that from Chiang Mai to Phuket, you have enough time to eat a loaf of bread.

I have no one to talk to around here. Thailand is a country of wonderful, smiling, polite people, but they speak a strange and convoluted language. Impossible to learn. 

You can fracture your tongue trying.

But my map is in English, so I'll learn it by heart until I know it even in my sleep. From now on, if someone wakes me up at night to ask about Phuket, I'll tell them that any fool knows it's in the south, very far, somewhere around in the back of beyond... where the devil weaned his children.

So, I'm about to have my second flight of the day. 

Lord, a man has to make many sacrifices to get a bit of beach in December.

I hope it's worth it!