Episode 16: I arrive in the Promised Land

This is the second time in my life I'm disembarking from an airplane. Thank you, Air Asia! It's nice to descend alive from a plane. I could get used to this.

I didn't really know it, but it seems like I have flying in my blood. I didn't have any emotions, no fear of flying. Remember? Maybe I have the makings of a pilot. 

Why not? At my age, I have my whole life ahead of me.

But before I can look around carefully, a dozen guys swarm over me:

"Taxi, sir? Taxi? Cheap! Do you want a taxi?"

"Fine," I approve with a bored nabob's voice, then I choose the nearest one. "Hey, you! Tell me honestly, what's your education? College, something? Master's?"

"No!" the man replies, surprised.

"Perfect! You're my man. I'll go with you! Where's your car?"

I get into the man's taxi, and this time, I use a polite and correct English preemptively. I'm responded to in the same manner.

"Where are we going, sir?"

"To the beach, of course!" I reply without much thought.

"Yes, but which one?"

What the hell? 

Problems?

Already?

"Uh... the nearest beach. Go straight. And to the cheapest hotel, add quickly."

I'm not in the mood for conversation. I look out the window, and for the first time, I feel like I'm in a foreign country.

It's like a big pipe burst on these streets, spilling a wave of scooters. It's a flood of motorcyclists. The two-stroke engine noise buzzes and hums everywhere. I've never seen so many motorcycles, scooters, and bicycles in my life. And Thais.

It's full of these Thais everywhere.

I don't know how long we've been driving, but the streets are starting to clear up, and my stress begins to ease.

I'm silent. I have enough time to study the people, the lush vegetation that appears at every step, and the small, loudly colored buildings that pop up like mushrooms everywhere, in the most unexpected places. Poverty. And luxury. 

And poverty again.

I don't like to travel. I sink deep into the taxi seat, close my eyes. I breathe deeply.

The driver has the decency to keep his mouth shut. He minds his own business. English music plays from the radio on the dashboard for normal people.

I don't know which hotel to choose, but at the first one that appears, I get out, pay, and ask the taxi driver to wait for me. Yes, yes! Make sure to wait.