Episode 17: Paradise on Earth

It's the eleventh day since I've been here, in this forgotten corner of Thailand

It's the eleventh day since I've been here, in this forgotten corner of Thailand. The bartender was right: this is Paradise on Earth. 

This is where Adam and Eve were banished from.

Sun, sea, and relaxation. Good Lord! Paradise!

In eleven days, I haven't been sober for even a single minute. The drinks flow abundantly from morning till night.

Sometimes the sky is a bit cloudy, but it has never rained, not even a drop.

The only thing that bothers me somewhat is the salty, humid wind that blows incessantly. It's the refreshing breeze of the Andaman Sea.

Oh, what a wonder! My life here is so simple and lovely.

In the morning, I wake up around nine. Nine something. Sometimes ten. Maybe eleven... who cares?

I open the fridge, grab a cold beer, and then open the door and step onto the beach. The sea is not far. Twenty steps. What more could I want from life? Simplicity is at its peak: I get out of bed, peacefully sip my beer, and open the door wide.

The beach with its white, fine sand awaits me. The sun also patiently awaits me. 

Everything is ready for another day of lounging around. Everything invites me to sleep and do absolutely nothing.

I have my beach chair, and, most importantly, I have Anurat.

A-nu-rat! Three syllables, six letters! My personal slave.

He's the nicest Thai guy in the world, and I feel like I've known him for eternity. He knows me as well as I know myself. I have no secrets. I'm a simple guy, and my needs are few.

We have our code:

If I raise one finger, I get a whiskey on the rocks.

If I raise two fingers, I get a whiskey neat.

Three fingers mean I'm hungry and need a slice of lemon in my whiskey.

Four fingers mean I want a double whiskey.

And, finally, five fingers mean I want to receive five beers.

Oh, yes, I'm a simple man, easily satisfied.

Today I felt a bit lazy. Maybe because of the heat. I stayed quietly on my beach chair all day, under the umbrella, and raised a finger from time to time from morning till evening.

Now it's getting late. Evening is a time for work and crazy efforts, meaning I have to walk the 158 steps to the restaurant up the beach.

There I can eat a lot of delicious crap sprinkled abundantly with some spicy seasonings that take your breath away. I'm not particularly fond of Thai food, but when you're in Thailand, you have to try to act like the Thais.