Chapter 4

*DIALOGUE IN BOLD IS IN ASL*

"No, I was planning on going home for the night, Papa

"No, I was planning on going home for the night, Papa." I say, answering his question.

"Well where is Maria staying? Does she live near?" Papa asks.

"I live in D.C. at the moment. I was planning on getting a hotel room for the night before we drive back tomorrow." Maria answers, as she walks up to us.

"You're not staying in a hotel. You can stay with me, I have a guest bedroom." I tell her, not knowing she was planning on sleeping in a hotel.

"It's fine, I'm okay with sleeping in a hotel." Maria tries to reason with me.

At this point Papa was called into the house by Anita wanting him to help with the dishes while I finish talking with Maria.

"Sure, you're okay with that, but I have a perfectly good bed at my house. And it's empty. You're not sleeping in a hotel, either sleep here or at my house." I tell her, "Now I'm going to go help with the dishes you stay here and decide."

After the dishes were complete, we talked for another few minutes inside before everyone was tired and decided to get some sleep. At this point Maria had decided she would stay with me at my house, and drive back to her apartment the next day. After driving the total 32 minutes back to my house, I pull into the driveway.

"I like your house." Maria says, definitely tired.

"Thank you. Now let's get you to sleep." I say as I pull up next to the house, circling my truck around so I can easily pull out in the morning.

———Time Skip———

After lying in bed, not being able to sleep for a while, I get up and make my way to my kitchen, to get a glass of water. While I'm getting a glass from the cabinet above me, I hear a door open down the hall. A few moments later I hear Maria.

"Myra?" She asks.

I close the cabinet and turn to see her. Dressed in pajama shorts and a large t-shirt, wearing a tired look on her face.

"Maria." I greet, "What are you doing up?"

"I heard you." She answers and she slowly walks towards me.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was being loud." I apologize.

"No, it's fine, I just wanted to make sure you were okay." She says.

"I'm fine, just couldn't sleep." I say. "I'm getting some water, would you like some?"

"Sure, thanks." She says now standing directly in front of me.