Episode 25: Soup for Sharks

The impact is devastating

The long, metallic screech of the engines is terrifying. It sounds as if two locomotives collided head-on.

I'm thrown entirely off my seat. My seatbelt rips like a rag, and I slam forcefully into the front seat's backrest. My life jacket explodes like a tractor tire. The noise deafens me.

So, I'm going to die. I suspected I would.

Before I faint, I hear the sound of water rushing wildly inside.

I don't know how long it takes me to wake up, but I'm almost breathing water instead of air. I panic terribly. I flail my arms aimlessly in the water and feel like I no longer know which way is "up" and which way is "down."

Is this death? Crap! It's terrifying!

Around me, luggage and clothing float. I feel a suitcase hitting me in the chest, scraping harshly against my arms. Which way should I swim? I open my eyes and realize that the water around me is not blue at all, but pink. Or maybe light red. What kind of phenomenon is this?

A few bubbles of air escape from my mouth. I watch them. Aha, there is "up" over there. I hold onto the seats and follow the direction of the air bubbles. In less than five seconds, I resurface. It was about time.

I scream desperately and take a deep breath. I almost choke. Another second, and...

I look around and try to orient myself. I suddenly understand that I'm still at the tail of the seaplane. A pocket of air has formed here. That's why we're floating.

"Where's the idiot who said these damn things float?" I scream furiously. "Show yourself, you fucking German! I feel like today's your last day. I feel it!"

And I feel something else. The rocking of the waves. I turn around and find myself face to face with the girl. She's alive, but she has the most frightened eyes I've ever seen in my life. Probably just like mine.

"We're upside down!" I shout. "We need to get out of here urgently!"

She's mute. Maybe she's also deaf.