Episode 26: Take the skinny girl!

I had a feeling I wouldn't die today

I had a feeling I wouldn't die today. I have a sixth sense!

Look, I escaped from that coffin that was sinking.

I quickly knot the cord of my life jacket to Eve's cord. Whether alive or dead, we'll stay together.

I look at her. This vest is specially designed to keep a person's head above water. Is she really dead? If so, it means she's the third person I've seen dead in the last few hours.

People have started to drop like flies around me. It's not good for my morale.

I can hear every heartbeat in my ears, and only now do I realize how tired I am. Thank God I don't have to swim anymore. It's wonderful that a clever person invented life jackets, otherwise I don't know how I would cope now.

Just the thought that beneath my feet there are hundreds, maybe thousands of meters of water... 

That thought has the power to drive anyone insane, whether they're fearful or brave. There's an abyss beneath me. Only the life jacket can save me.

"Don't you dare give up, Tiberiu!" I encourage myself with a feeble voice. "The hardest part is over."

But I'm not stupid.

I clearly realize that we are two specks of dust floating on an ocean. The human mind can't comprehend what 'as far as the eye can see' means. It's abnormal!

The sea is nice only when you look at it from the shore. We're used to feeling something solid under our feet. If we don't have anything, we lose control, we lose our minds.

I'm unable to think about anything specific anymore. All I want is to feel the earth under my feet. I want to lean on something, on anything.

Anything but a shark fin.

Lord, if you help me get out of this alive, I promise... I swear I'll never board a plane again in my life! I'll go home by ship or by train. I want to go home! Straight home!

And I'll never be a nitpicker again! I'll love the cold! I'll love the snow! I'll love the chill, the cough, and the colds and rheumatism!

I'll become a monk and dedicate my life to You, Lord!

Help me, don't abandon me!

Please!

"Wasser," Eva moans and opens her eyes wide. "Wasser..."

She's alive. It's a miracle! Surely it's a sign from God.

"'Water? You're right, water as far as the eye can see. But we're alive, Eva!" I shout to her. "Aren't you glad you're alive?"

A wave suddenly covers us, and I swallow a mouthful of 'wasser.' 

Salty, damn it!

I have to keep my mouth shut. I talk too much for a man.