Chapter Nine

My head is spinning, and a gargled moan escapes my lips

My head is spinning, and a gargled moan escapes my lips. My body is ice cold. Every drop of warmth has been drained from me. When I glance across the path, I see Alasdair scrutinising me.

"That's why you let them have the land."

Slowly, he nods and then smiles. "It wasn't a lie. The coven is in dire need of money. And everyone in the supernatural community knew Frost wanted to get his pack away from the city. Away from the constant pack wars. He doesn't trust me, and he's not a fool. I have no doubt he looked into us before he accepted my offer, and a quick glimpse into our finances would have confirmed to him our need was as real as his."

"You lured him here... he'll never help knowing you tricked him."

"Belladonna, you are young, and this is your first time encountering the wolves. They may seem to embrace our kind, but I assure you... It is not in their nature to help those outside of their pack. Cain would never have willingly helped us. Help those who killed his ancestors. Help make a threat to his pack stronger. Never."

He sighs thoughtfully and then drags himself up with a weary grunt. With his hands knotted before him, he wanders over and sinks to the ground beside me.

"He told you that you're his mate, didn't he? I saw how his pack behaved last night. How they protected you."

My lips part and I shake my head, but I can't quite force myself to deny it. To lie to the High Elder. Alasdair nods in understanding.

"Our coven has never been this close to a member of the Frost family. And finally, we have someone they'll trust. And not just him, but the entire pack."

I leap up, stumbling backwards until my back hits the rough bark of a tree. My nails claw at the wood. I'm breathing so fast that my chest is aching.

"Wait... you want me to lie to him? You want me to..."

"On the night of the cold moon, I need you to lure Frost here. Without the pack. Without our magic, we can hardly take on one wolf, let alone dozens, but in his human form, and alone, we may have a chance. And then we can get back what was taken from us."

I feel sick. Earlier, I'd felt so happy I could burst. Just being around Cain brought forward feelings that were intoxicating and bursting with possibility. It was a feeling that belonged to me. Not the coven. Not the elders. And yet somehow, Alasdair had found a way to sour it. To take it and turn it into something ugly.

"The goddess wouldn't want this. She wouldn't..."

He's smiling as he walks towards me and takes my hands. His grip is awkward and oddly cold. His touch adds to the sickness growing in my belly. I pull away, but he seems unperturbed.

"Why do you think the goddess arranged for you to marry Frederick? She knew you would run... Run right into the arms of their alpha. She spared your life for a reason. This is it."