SINGLE CALL

In an alleyway, where darkness consumes the walls with only a faint glimmer from a flickering street light casting eerie silhouettes.

Upon the woman's entry in the debilitated alleyway, lingers of having a stronger smell in her every step, disappearing from the bright lit buildings, drowning out the distant hum of city life – the bustling streets, the headlights of passing cars, and the faint chatter of families dining at night in makeshift stalls. 

Advancing through some men who smoke while leaning on the wall. 

The night grew more unsettling in this unfamiliar alleyway, a place where fear lurked in the hearts of those who dared to tread, yet the woman's countenance remained serene, unfazed by the ominous presence of these men.

They glanced at each other and nodded, more than a stranger and less than an acquaintance. There was no overt threat in the men's demeanor towards the woman, only veiled intentions that lingered in the oppressive stillness of the night.

She passed by decrepit buildings that appeared on the verge of collapse, their weary facades hinting at years of neglect. 

Surprisingly, these structures stood defiant against time, defying decay despite their worn appearance and occasional cracks.

Among these buildings, the woman resided in one with a modest rent, a place she called home for many years. 

Walking towards the left building and up the 5th floor her footsteps echoing faintly in the empty hallway, at the end of the hall, she stopped. 

There she brought up her keys, she inserted them into the lock with practiced precision, turning it slowly to prevent the telltale creak of the hinges from breaking the eerie silence that enveloped the dimly lit hallway.

"How come you are always late coming home?!" An exasperated voice echoed from within the apartment, dripping with frustration and impatience.

Without warning, a bottle of beer hurtled through the air towards the woman standing outside the door, a fleeting moment of chaos in the stillness of the night. 

Fortunately she dodged it and passed through her, making the sound of a glass breaking down the alley street. 

The woman did not flinch as it was a normal occurrence in her life, so did her neighbors who didn't care about the things happening in or out.

"What are you still doing outside! Come and cook me a meal, you don't know how hungry I am. Useless child!" There again, an old man's hoarse voice can be heard inside. The once-clean space was now a chaotic mess, with debris strewn across the floor and neglected dishes piled in the sink.

Despite the disarray, the woman remained wordless, silently tidying up the empty beer bottles as the old man's intense gaze bore into her, his eyes reflecting a deep-seated discontent that hung heavy in the air.

In his black eyes, dissatisfaction can be clearly seen and he mumbled. "Useless child, it can be better if it was a man." And then continued to chug down his beer in his hand. 

When the woman had clearly heard what the old man said, she suddenly stopped for a second and continued to do what she should do in this household.

A bowl of porridge was put down in front, placed on the rickety table. Without a moment's hesitation, he voraciously devoured the meal, his hunger palpable in the way he greedily consumed every spoonful. Truly he was very hungry. "You are not useless at all, at least in this aspect just like you mom. Che!" 

He looked at her with ridicule in his eyes, as the old man looked at her eyes, there was nothing but himself at those black orbs, which he felt would be sucked in this black hole.