Episode 33: Eva doesn't have bills problems

We were scared for nothing. It wasn't the rainy season after all. In the end, the cursed rain stopped.

"Achoo!"

"Bless you, Tiberiu!"

"Thanks! Damn cold!"

The clouds dispersed, but left us feeling chilled and cold behind them. I sneeze vigorously and feel miserable when I think that everything is ruined and we'll have to rebuild the entire fishing industry of the island from scratch.

But first, the urgencies: I help Eva set up another shade structure. This time, we work side by side; no one is the master of anyone anymore.

The girl sees that I'm not in the mood for conversation and works quietly too. As short as she is, she has as much energy in her small arms.

In the afternoon, I manage to take a nap and wake up feeling slightly better.

Eva gathers shells, sorts them, and tries to recreate all the pieces of our chess game.

"Don't bother, it's pointless!" I tell her. "I don't play anymore anyway. Not with you."

"Why?" she asks, smiling.

"I'm a good chess player, but you beat me every time. Either you're a genius chess player, or you turn me into an idiot in your presence."

She laughs. It's nice when she does. She should laugh more often.

"I've been playing chess since I was 6," she confesses. "I'm good. I've played quite often, especially online. My paternal grandfather taught me. After my parents' death, he took care of me."

In the evening, I make some more fuss, but I let myself be convinced to play. The sun sets, and it's hard for us to distinguish the pieces. The sky behind the girl is colored in a bright red. I show her that purple wonder.

"Have you ever seen anything so beautiful?" I say, enchanted.

The girl turns her head towards the sunset and responds indifferently:

"Yes, I have. Two years ago, in Kauai. It was just as beautiful, maybe even more beautiful."

"Where is that?"

"Kauai? It's an island," she explains. "In Hawaii. Now you're going to ask me where Hawaii is?"

"Oh, forget it. I know exactly where Hawaii is. It's in the Pacific. So it's not the first time you've seen the Pacific?"

"Of course not. I've traveled to many places. In the last three years, I've been away from Germany most of the time. But it was worth it! Basically, I've seen almost everything."

"This 'of course not' annoys me. It seems to me that this young lady is a bit arrogant. Yes, she's a bit stuck-up. Saying 'of course not.' Hmm! Alright, Eva. So, if I haven't traveled the world, am I... abnormal or what?"

"You're exaggerating, dear," I respond grumpily. "You couldn't have seen everything. Look at her, how boastful..."

"I didn't mean it that way," she smiles. "I have visited some of the most beautiful places in the world. But to see them thoroughly, you're right, it would take a lifetime."

"Have you been to... let's see, let me catch you now... India?"

"I've been to India, of course. It happened last year, in May. India is too big a country to visit entirely. But I was lucky because I visited it for the second time. Last time I was impressed by Pangong Lake and Gujarat. On my first visit, Sandakphu and Maharashtra stuck with me. Does that ring a bell?"