Chapter Twelve

The dark silver-tipped clouds follow us as we leave the shop, bringing a down-pouring of rain with them

The dark silver-tipped clouds follow us as we leave the shop, bringing a down-pouring of rain with them. It's not a light drizzle either but a drenching rain that soaks us both to the skin. We're running towards the dense treeline. Cain is laughing, his deep bellow breaking through the surge of rain. He holds my hand as we run up the hill. My legs are aching and my lungs burning but I'm still smiling. Still laughing alongside him.

I stop when I'm too exhausted to take one more step, but Cain simply scoops me up and runs towards the trees. The world is a wet blur. I hadn't realised how much I'd been slowing him down. We slip into the dark wood. The air is colder here and rich with damp earth and the metallic twang of rain. He walks us in deeper, still holding me tightly as I lean against his shoulder, kissing the rain off his neck. My fingers wound in his wet hair. He peers down at me, fire burning behind his eyes. A growl at the back of his throat.

The rain is still pouring, making melodies as it drops onto tree branches and plunges into newly formed puddles. The canopy of trees protects us from the heaviest of the rain, but we continue to get wet. Cain drops me near a towering oak tree, his eyes hungry. He prowls forward as I playfully tread backwards until my back is against the tree. He cages me in, his hands on either side of my head. My heart is pounding. And I'm aching so badly I think I could cry if he doesn't touch me again soon. I didn't know I could want someone so much. He runs his hand down my face, my jaw, my neck. He pulls a little on the collar to see the bite mark he'd left from last time. His eyes shift into that ice blue - the animal is close.

"Bad wolf," I whisper. My voice is husky, more from lust than the cold. He chuckles, his lips running across my neck, his breath hot against my chilled skin. His lips reach mine and it's me that reaches out. I stand on tiptoes, sinking into the mud as I struggle to reach him and press my lips against his. He wraps his arms around me and my feet are off the ground as I'm pressed against the tree. Like the other night, he doesn't hold back. It's another kiss that sends me reeling, that has my nails digging into his wet shirt. He drags moans and whimpers from my lips with ease. He pulls away, my bottom lip still clamped between his teeth. He lets go, chuckling playfully. His eyes are still ice white.

"Can I ask you something?"

He nods, one arm once again beside my head, the other toying with buttons on my shirt. "And what would you like to know?"

"Have I ever seen you? In your wolf form, I mean? I've seen a few of your pack, but I don't think I've ever seen you."

"You haven't." He releases a couple of buttons and runs a finger down the damp skin of my upper breasts. Then his lips are back on my neck, kissing downwards till his teeth graze my collarbone. It's entirely distracting.

"It wasn't you, with the red wolf that day with Fredrick?"

"No, that was Samson and Daniel. You would know if you saw me."

"Can I. See you?" He pulls away from my neck and grins as he glances down at me.

"You want to see the big bad wolf, little witch? Aren't you scared?" He teases my bottom lip with his thumb, his lips twisted into a sardonic smile. I hold his gaze.