Chapter 1

Chapter Playlist:
Fallout by Alter Bridge
Erase My Scars by Evans Blue
Came Here to Forget by Blake Shelton
Incomplete by Backstreet Boys
When the Storm Subsides by In This Moment

X.x

Had somebody told me a year ago that I'd be where I am right now, I honestly wouldn't have believed them.

Would I have hoped? Sure. The prospect of a good change is enough to instill hope within anyone, even if they are already not unhappy with their lives.

Some changes are more jarring than others - I'm even more aware of that now. That doesn't make them any less of a blessing; sometimes it might even make them better.

There are some out there that may try to shame me for what I've done - for what I'm doing, but I don't care. I deflect their opinions like I am made of armor. I have gone too far to go back where I was, to who I used to be. I don't want to go back. I barely remember that person I used to be. I pity her. I have healed her.

She is me now. Every twisted part of her.

Who's to say there's anything wrong with twisted, anyways?

~~~~

It was getting windier by the minute; a direct result of the storm brewing in the sky. The breeze was cool, contrasting with the warm, dry air. Typical with the season change in Texas in early May, it was going to storm. Something she was very much looking forward to.

A storm in her mind much like the ever-growing one out here, she stood in the middle of the empty stretch or highway. The distance was lighter than the clouds hanging over most of the land, showcasing the beauty of a Texas sunset even amongst the grey of the sky. She had her eyes on it all, taking a deep breath in of the smell of impending rain. It was a scent that made her reminisce about certain moments in her life where everything had been so easy, making her feel both peaceful and somber at the same time.

Things were very different now. She wanted to go back to how it had been.

For now, she tried not to think about that. She tried to live in the moment; to be right here under this big, wide, cloudy sky, waiting for the rain.

The first rumble of thunder breezed in from the distance, and the wind seemed to pick up again with the low sound. She knew she should probably be getting back to her car; standing as the tallest thing on a bare stretch of highway in a storm wasn't smart. Sighing out one of her many breaths of fresh air, she turned and started a slow trek back to the little Honda pulled over on the side of the highway. The only car on the road right now, but even still, distinguishable by the broken windshield with spider-web cracks reaching across the glass. That had been from a half full bottle of Moscato being thrown at it. A lovely memoir. It was something she knew she'd have to get fixed at some point, but at the moment, she didn't have the money. Recently, she was also out of a job, as well, so it would have to wait even longer.

In her pocket, her cell buzzed, Eric Church blaring out of the speakers, indicating that someone was calling her. Walking a little faster at another rumble of thunder, this one sounding closer, she pulled it out of her sweatshirt. "Hello?" She pulled her car keys out of her other pocket with her free hand, feeling the first few drops of rain falling onto her bare hands.

"Renae, bitch where are you?!" came a shrill from the other end, the connection crackling from being out in the middle of nowhere.

"I'm-" She yanked the door open just as the sky opened up "-driving, where are you?"

"Waiting for you, ho! Get your ass over here!"