Episode 35: Surely It's Not Love

"Can't you sleep either?" Eva asks.

Well, would you look at that, she noticed! Who else could sleep after that? I try to ignore her. She's a few steps away from me, lying on the sand, her hand under her head.

I imagine how nice it would have been if we were on that big ship. Good food, a hot shower. Real soap and shampoo. And a real bed, with real sheets, not that damn sand that gets everywhere.

"I'm hungry," she says in the same indifferent tone as if she had said it's dark outside or the grass is green.

"I believe you," I grumble annoyed. "I'm hungry too. Nothing to do tonight. Maybe we'll eat tomorrow."

"Maybe," she confirms, sounding skeptical.

Or maybe we'll both be screwed. Who cares? The thought that a ship was so close to the island and I'm still here, stranded, drives me crazy.

"Those people probably wouldn't have come back for us even if they had seen us," I continue my thought out loud. "Those floating things weigh tens of thousands of tons. It's hard to start them, but it's even harder to stop them."

"You're right," Eva agrees, "but we mustn't lose hope. Can I come closer to you?"

"Why?"

"Because I'm bored," she explains simply. "Sun, water, sleep. Then sleep, water, sun... Nothing ever happens on this island."

"I'm not bored," I reply discontentedly. "Stay where you are. I don't feel like comforting anyone tonight. I'm powerless."

"You're mean."

"That's how I am when I skip meals. Mean. And hungry. I could eat anything. If you value your life, keep your buttocks away from me."

Eva gets up, shakes the sand off her thighs, then sits down right next to me.

"I knew you love me," she says jokingly.

"On the contrary, I hate you."

"It's the same," she laughs. "Can I ask you something?"

"What now?"

"Let me rest my head on your chest, and if you're a decent guy, hold me for a while. I feel really sad tonight. I don't want to be sad anymore."

I feel her warm cheek against my chest. Against my will, my arms rise on their own, encircle her, and pull her closer to me. She's right. I feel better now too.

"Do you know my hunger is gone?" I ask amusedly.

"I know," she says with her eyes closed. "This must be the 'Eva effect'."

I breathe slowly. Her head rises and falls with my chest. I gently stroke her wheat-colored hair, then close my eyes. Her presence is so... wonderful.

Above us is a gigantic moon. It bathes us in an unreal light. I've never seen the moon so close to the earth. It's fantastically big. I feel like I could reach out and touch it. All I have to do is raise my hand and reach for it.

"Eva," I whisper, "have you ever seen anything like this before?"

She looks up at the sky out of the corner of her eye, then sighs and presses her cheek even closer to me.

"No," she replies. "It's definitely unique. This must be the 'Tiberiu effect'."

"I've never seen anything more beautiful."

"What do you find beautiful?"

"I don't know how to explain. Down here, it's me holding you in my arms, and up there is the most beautiful moon I've ever seen in my life."