Prologue - Revengeful

She could not be that naive ...

"I fear you have sadly overestimated my noble virtues, Miss Langford," Hero said bluntly

"I fear you have sadly overestimated my noble virtues, Miss Langford," Hero said bluntly. "I did not come down here to Hampshire to foster a shadowy metaphysical connection with you."

The glow went out of her eyes in an instant. "I beg your pardon, My Lord?"

Hero gritted his teeth and retrieved her hand. "I came down here with a far more mundane goal, Miss Langford."

"What would that be, sir?"

"I am here to ask your father for your hand in marriage."

The reaction was not at all what he had expected from a spinster with a clouded past who should have been thrilled to hear an earl was going to speak to her father on the subject of marriage.

"Fucking hell," Josephine squeaked.

Hero lost his patience with the strange female sitting beside him. "That tears it," he announced. "I think what is needed here, Miss Langford, is a means of cutting through all that romantical claptrap about love on a higher plane that you have been feeding yourself all these months."

"My Lord, what are you talking about?"

"Why, the darker passions, of course, Miss Langford

"Why, the darker passions, of course, Miss Langford." He reached out and jerked her into his arms. "I am suddenly consumed with curiosity to see if you really do enjoy them...."