Episode 36: Every Girl Has a Secret

"Here's our salvation," she says, stepping back to get a better look at the result of our work.

What is there to see? It's just a pyramid made of dry wood. It took us a few hours, but we managed to gather as much material as possible for our signal fire. That's it.

"We're all set, Tiberiu!" the cheerful girl adds. "The next ship passing by the island won't miss us."

I look at the neatly stacked pile of wood and nod. Yes, her pyramid could be our ticket out of here.

We spend the next two hours together, trying to rebuild one of the fish traps.

"But say something!" she suddenly exclaims.

"About what?" I ask, surprised.

"About anything! Since yesterday, you've been rather grumpy. You seem to be thinking a lot, but you're not saying much, and it's driving me crazy."

I shrug. Eva looks at me, annoyed. I clarify:

"I'm not saying anything because I'm thinking about you. About us. I mean... about you."

She starts laughing.

"Ironic, isn't it? You avoid talking to me so you can think about me!"

She sits on the sand and carefully opens a bottle of water. She takes a sip, then wipes her mouth with the back of her hand and looks at me.

"Speak up, man! What's on your mind?"

I sigh and reply:

"Regardless of what you may think of me, know that everything I told you yesterday was just nonsense."

"But I already know that," she says, smiling. "It's okay, it doesn't bother me. But it worked, didn't it? You got what you wanted. Well done!"

"Let me explain... You're a beautiful girl, Eva, but that means nothing to me. Your beauty doesn't attract me. Beauty is so common in the world that it has no value anymore. I'll add that you're also very intelligent! Anyway, much smarter than me."

"Thank you, you're quite charming. Go on. Tell me more."

"But intelligence doesn't matter either!" I continue, looking at her sadly. "Your beauty doesn't attract me, and neither does your intelligence."

"Then what does?"

She looks at me intently. She's all eyes and ears. Despite being intelligent, I'm not sure if she'll understand what I'm trying to explain.

"I love your soul, so I love something about you. Yesterday, I was talking about love because I wanted to get between your legs as quickly as possible. But today, I'm also talking about love, but I don't think you'll understand."

"Try me," she says, playing with a handful of sand. "You said I'm smarter than you. Speak."

"We've been through tough times, the two of us. Moments that many people don't encounter in their entire lives. And we've managed. We've made it here alive. Misfortune unites people more than calm and happy moments. Misfortune reveals the true face of people."

"Tell me the short version."

"Fine. I confess that I love that brave Eva who spoke calmly on the radio, composed in an airplane about to crash."

"Oh, come on. You have no idea how terrified I was."

"I also love that Eva who stoically endured thirst for three days with me, floating among the waves."

"Oh, please, don't remind me!"

"I can't forget. Maybe that's why I love your brave soul, you little woman! That's what I'm trying to explain to you. You're better and braver than many of the men I know. Even braver than me!"

"Do you admit that?" she asks, laughing. "Seriously? Are you having a moment of honesty?"

"Yes, Eva, I admit it! You have a pure and good soul and deserve to be loved! No woman in the world has ever impressed me like this. You're pure!"

"Shut up!" she suddenly shouts.

"I can be silent if you want, but this is what I think: you have a wonderful soul, dear Eva, and deserve to be loved."

"Stop it once and for all!" the girl says, her face clouded with anger. "Stop babbling nonsense to me!"

I look at her, not understanding where her anger came from.

"Don't you ever talk to me like that again!" she screams as if out of her mind. "You have no idea who I am! These are the thoughts you've been chewing on in your mind? Well, know that you're wrong. You're completely wrong about me. I don't have a good or pure soul. Don't love my soul! I forbid you! Leave my soul alone!"

"Let me..."

"Not a word!" she exclaims, raising her hand. "I've listened to you enough. You're just blabbering nonsense. Don't ever talk to me about love again, and especially don't ever tell me what a good soul I have! Only I know what's in my soul, understand?"

"No."

"You don't need to understand. We're just two strangers forced by circumstances to be together. That's it, and only that's why I tolerate you. I let you sleep with me out of curiosity and interest. I want us to get along well, and I've given you what you wanted, but this joke about love has gone too far. Never mention it again. Remember that!"

We look into each other's eyes. She dominates me. I simply can't resist the gaze of her eyes like tar. 

Looking down, I tell her:

"I understand. Okay. But at least let me take care of you and protect you while we're both here. You don't have to love me. Just let me be there for you."

Eva turns her back to me and says evenly:

"Do as you please. If that makes you happy."

Then she turns back to me, reaches out, and gently lifts my chin:

"Look at me for a moment! You know, Tiberiu? I liked you more when you were rude," she says thoughtfully. "At least then you were yourself. This infatuated role doesn't suit you."

"Fair enough," I reply. "We won't talk about it anymore."

I bow my head and kiss her palm.

"Oh, stop it," she says annoyed. "Shall we start over? Behave yourself! Let's rather rebuild the next trap. We need to eat something. You promised to feed me and protect me."

I follow her in silence. Who is this girl? 

Who is she?

I watch her as she walks away, and I begin to understand that I have no idea who I'm sharing the island and the food with.

"No, I'm not crazy!" she says casually. "You got scared, didn't you? Don't worry, it'll pass."

I don't know what to say to her anymore.