Episode 39: Not today... Maybe tomorrow!

"Are we playing chess or not?" Eva asks, teasingly. "Come on, Tiberiu, just one game and that's it!"

"No."

"But you're unbelievable!" she says, batting her eyelashes. "How do you know luck won't turn your way? Remember? Maybe this time, I'll end up being your slave." She tosses the queen into her lap and continues jokingly: "Come on, admit it! Would you like me to be your slave? Would you?"

I swallow hard and look at her. Is she flirting with me or teasing me? Just two days ago, she was ready to kill me, and now I could swear she's an angel.

Sweet? Yes. Playful? Yes. 

Sincere? Oh... who can understand women?

"My slave, you say? What am I supposed to do with you? I don't need anything you have."

"Nothing?" she looks at me crestfallen.

I think she's putting on a show.

"Absolutely nothing."

"Ah... well! Good boy! Yesterday in love, today bored. Very flattering."

"Eva, forgive me if I made you think otherwise," I try to lighten the mood. "Men spout all sorts of nonsense when they're in heat. You understand, don't you?"

"Oh, yes, I understand," she says slowly. "You don't want me anymore. Fine. I can accept that. After all, a woman can't be wanted all the time. But even if she's not wanted, she still has her demands, right?"

"I'm not sure I understand," I play dumb.

"Oh, yes, you do understand. I suggest we solve the problem like businessmen. We play chess and settle the matter in one game. If I win, watch out..."

"I'm all ears. What will it be? A foot massage?"

"No. If I win, you'll be mine tonight. No fuss, no reservations. And no bad jokes like 'I finished too quickly! Sorry!'"

I start to laugh. Eva, Eva... how you know how to twist the knife!

"And if I win?"

"If you win, I'll agree to be yours, but still, no bad jokes like 'I finished too quickly! Sorry!'"

"Well, that's a trickery!" I exclaim scandalized. "Regardless of the outcome, I still have to work. I knew it was a trickery."

"Well, what do you say?" she asks, giving me a look. "Shall we play... chess?"

I look at her calmly. She's not getting her hands on me. 

No chance!

"No! I don't think I'm in the mood right now, Eva. Maybe later. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe next week. What's the rush, girl?"

With one sweep of her hand, Eva clears the chess pieces. I get hit with a pawn and a handful of sand.

"I was joking," she says with an icy calm. "Who needs you anyway?"