Chapter 2: Whispers in the Dark

The next morning, Jack sat at his desk, nursing a cup of black coffee as he pored over Sarah Monroe's file. She was an enigma, her life a series of contrasts. Bright and talented, yet drawn to the darker corners of the human experience. Her art reflected that, pieces that captured the raw, often brutal reality of life."Got something for you," Fiona said, striding into the office with a stack of papers. "Forensics report. And a list of her known associates."Jack skimmed through the forensics report. The knife used was a rare model, military-grade. Not the kind of thing you'd pick up at a local shop. It spoke of someone with access, someone who knew what they were doing."Let's start with the boyfriend," Jack said, glancing at the list. "There's always a boyfriend."They found him in a small, cluttered studio in Leith, surrounded by canvases and the smell of turpentine. David Kincaid was a tall, lanky man with an intensity that bordered on unsettling. He looked up from his work as they entered, his eyes wide with something between fear and defiance."Mr. Kincaid," Jack began, "we're here about Sarah Monroe."David's face fell, the color draining from his cheeks. "I heard," he said softly. "I can't believe it.""Can you tell us about your relationship?" Fiona asked, her voice gentler than Jack's.David ran a hand through his messy hair. "We were…complicated," he admitted. "Sarah was passionate, driven. Sometimes it was hard to keep up with her. But we loved each other. I swear, I had nothing to do with this."Jack studied him, looking for cracks in the façade. "Where were you last night, around midnight?""I was here," David said quickly. "Working on a piece. You can ask the guy downstairs. He heard me moving around all night.""We will," Jack said, leaving the threat hanging in the air. "Did Sarah have any enemies? Anyone who might want to hurt her?"David hesitated, a shadow crossing his face. "There was someone," he said finally. "A collector. James Sinclair. He was obsessed with her work. When she refused to sell him a piece, he got angry. Real angry.""Where can we find this Sinclair?" Fiona asked, her pen poised over her notebook."He's got a place in New Town," David replied. "But be careful. The guy's got connections. And he's dangerous."Jack exchanged a look with Fiona. They had a lead, but it was just the beginning. The city’s secrets were slowly unraveling, and they were about to dive headfirst into its darkest depths.