jay grunted before raising his middle finger up. "you don't understand."

sunghoon rolled his eyes. "it's not like i want to understand either. but i already told you, heeseung doesn't want to get involved now. he said you two are better off as friends."

"he... he said that?" jay's eyes widen for a bit, trying to mask his emotions.

"i'm not sure, but i think he did." sunghoon gave him a glance before grabbing a banana and peeling it. "that's actually nice, isn't it? you and jake can move on with your lives as a cringey-ass couple now."

he knows that his friend is just speaking the truth, but hearing that makes jay want to punch him. i know i don't have the right to be mad, but i am.

meanwhile, sunghoon watched as jay looked pissed off now. he smirked before taking a bite of the banana. years after and he's still too easy to read.

"by the way, i bought toys for meiji." he spoke again, trying to divert jay's attention elsewhere. "you should invite that kid over again, i wanna see him."

"what for? you'd just make a bad influence on the child." jay talked back. he then looked at the two huge boxes across the living room. huh? just how many did he buy?

"what the fuck, why would you buy two whole boxes?"

sunghoon shrugged. "just in case he wants more," then he walks back to his room while holding his mug.

huh. he's getting more weird every day.

-----------

[ ugly cousin ]

ugly cousin:
where are you?

jake:
???
why
i'm busy

ugly cousin:
jungwon told me
he said i should check on you bc you seem sad these days

jake:
aww wonie is so cute
but don't worry about me
i'm feeling a bit better now

ugly cousin:
did jay break your heart?
should i ask sunoo hyung to smack him for you?

jake:
lmfao silly
nah it's not like that
besides i'm sure sunoo won't have the courage to do that to his friend

ugly cousin:
wanna bet?
sunoo hyung will do anything i say

jake:
okay good for you?
bitch don't brag about your boyfriend

ugly cousin:
lol
anyways call me if you need smth
just don't do anything stupid again

----------

jake felt jay's stare as he parked the car on the side of the city park. he was like that since earlier- even when jake picked him up, and when they had their dinner at a seafood restaurant.

he keeps staring at him. not even glances, but obvious stares. like he's observing jake. they stepped out of his car and started walking inside. the park looks brighter at night, with all the fairy lights and the lamp posts on each sidewalk.

they slowed down when they reached the fountain. the pathway is made of bricks, and jake admired how the flowers were arranged on the side. it's beautiful.

he feels jay's stare again. what's up with this guy?

"jay, you're starting to creep me out." he couldn't help but comment, giving jay a lopsided smile.

jay avoided his gaze, clearing his throat. "sorry, i just- are you okay? you've been acting a bit odd..."

jake's smile faded. he noticed? i was trying to be more lively, but i guess my acting sucked.

"i'm just feeling a bit under the weather, but i'm fine."

"are you sure? we can go home early if you're not feeling well. you should rest-"

"i'm okay, there's no need for that." he cuts jay's words off.

silence enveloped them, and it took a few seconds before jake spoke again. "remember how i used to tell you that no matter how many friends i would have... i'll always pick you as my best friend?"

jay looks at him, a bit puzzled but he still smiled. "yeah, i do. then i told you that i won't let you find another best friend too."

"at least you kept the promise," jake chuckled.

i did?

he blinked, his eyes trying to meet jake's- but the latter avoided him. something... something is wrong.

"jake?" jay tried to reach for him, but he took a few steps back. they're almost walking towards the center of the fountain.

"i've been..." jake takes a deep breath before continuing. "i've been thinking about this for a while. and i know i'm impulsive, i still don't know if i'm doing this right- but i..."

"what? i don't..." jay trailed off, confused.

"i love you. and i know that i've been too selfish with you. i wanted you for myself, and i didn't want to see you with someone else because the mere thought of it would kill me."

jake didn't want jay to see him crying, but his tears just wouldn't stop. he shakes his head when he sees jay trying to come to him.

"you've been my best friend for years, and in all those years- you loved me. and it pains me to know that i never gave you the love that you deserve back then. up to this day, i'm still..." the words feel like it's getting stuck in his throat.

it hurts.

"... i'm still blaming myself for not realizing sooner."

jay hugged him as he sobbed, as if his body suddenly felt weak.

"no, please- you didn't do anything wrong, jake. i'm sorry if you feel that way." jay held his tears back as he felt his heart break for his best friend.

he's been bottling up his feelings all along. i'm a fucking jerk for not noticing all this time.

jake shakes his head again. "no, i'm the one who should apologize. when you left, i thought i already lost you. but when i saw you again, i wanted to bring you back to my side. i was desperate."

"i didn't want to lose you again, jay- but i'm too selfish." jake stares at him before gently putting his hand on jay's cheek to wipe his tears. "i can't bring back the past, but i can at least... fix the present, right?"

jake smiled at jay as he slowly loosen his hold unto him.

"you're not gonna find your true happiness with me, jay... so i'm letting you go."

i've chosen to stay by your side forever, as your best friend.

---------

⌛⌛⌛