14. Fireworks by Sumida River

Start from the beginning

They climbed down some big steps at the waterbus station, which had stopped operating already: it was almost nightfall after all. There were some people around, little groups with drinks and snacks, and they still walked down a little further, not willing to get too close to Sumida Park, as the crowds there would be insane.

After passing Umaya Bridge and walking for a while, they found a good spot: with not many people around, and dark enough to see the fireworks. From Komagata Bridge on, all the way to Asakusa it'd be just too crowded so they stopped, and Hua Cheng put the bag with beer and snacks on the ground by the railing.

"... then she said she decided to go to grad school mainly because of me, of how much she enjoyed her research with my mentoring", Xie Lian went on, "That was sweet of her, I was so touched – "

Hua Cheng could only smile, "I'm not surprised, you helped Banyue a lot, and always so supportive – "

"Thank you, San Lang", he replied looking at Hua Cheng, now leaning on the railings and looking away in a daze, quietly sipping on his beer and enjoying that warm breeze on his face.

He then seemed to realise Hua Cheng hasn't been talking much this whole time, and said, "I'm sorry for being annoying and not shutting up a minute. Now, tell me: how have you been?"

Hua Cheng had just realised something, something that has escaped him this whole time! But didn't think it'd change anything if he said it... should he go ahead and still say it then? He wondered. Ah, fuck it!

Still looking away, he replied dazedly, "Gege, you know when I kept saying I didn't want to hurt you? Yeah, that was an excuse, I realise it now. You were right all along".

Xie Lian didn't reply anything, and he went on, "I freaked out, didn't know what to do. Gege – "

He then looked at Xie Lian and said, "Gege, you see, I've never been in love before".

Xie Lian, also leaning on the railing, sipped on his beer, then looked away, not saying anything.

He then said, "San Lang, the reason I didn't call you all this time was: I had given up on you. I liked you, but it didn't seem you were that into me after all, so what was the point? Better just leave you alone, you'd move on soon. Maybe we could still be friends someday, but I had decided that for now – "

Liked? Then why –

"Why, why did you come here today then?", Hua Cheng asked, unsure if he wanted to hear it –

Xie Lian gave him a meaningful look: his eyes sparkling and not quite smiling, just a hint of a smile. He then reached for his phone in his back pocket, unlocking it and showing to Hua Cheng.

It was that Twitter post about the museum talk and announcing the release date of his new book, Colours, showing its cover art. Hua Cheng had seen it of course, many times and at its many stages of completion. It was his work: he drew it, did the shadowing, coloured it, designed it. Only, it seemed he had never noticed before, that cover –

It was the main character (the one who'd be on a journey of self-discovery through art) on a more realistic style, in a rich watercolour finish, with arty splashes of reds, greens and yellows. And that face was clearly none other than Xie Lian himself.

Hua Cheng looked on, speechless: he never realised how much into Xie Lian he was, unconsciously drawing him all day, every day, all throughout his book...

He felt his face burning and his heart pounding on his chest, and blurted out, "Gege, listen – "

I've never felt like this before, about anyone. I never had a relationship and I know I might just mess up a lot. Well I did mess up a lot already, I know. Anyway. Anyway I, Gege, I'm in love with you, I want you and only you. Give me a chance. I'll do anything you want, I'll be good –

He kept looking at Xie Lian, his expression as if he wanted to laugh, his eyes sparkling, his beautiful face reflecting reds, green and yellows (quite like his book cover), and he then realised –

"Fuck! I start going all out on my confession, the fucking fireworks go off and you can't hear a thing... how BL manga is that?", he said pffting a laugh when the fireworks had paused.

Xie Lian smiled, then stepped ahead, putting a hand on Hua Cheng's chest, "Kissing with a fireworks background is also so BL manga. Should we do it?", he asked teasingly.

Hua Cheng, who had already wrapped his arms around Xie Lian's waist, smiled and replied, his lips against Xie Lian's, "We definitely should. The readers love it".

He felt Xie Lian's hot and moist lips against his, his warm body pressing Hua Cheng's, his soft hands ruffling at his hair, his teasing little bites on his lower lip... then he heard fireworks again, but didn't know if they were actual fireworks, or it was in his head –

No, not in my head, he thought, smiling and biting Xie Lian's ear lobe, that would be so BL manga –

Yes yes yes, an all-out confession, finally! 🥰

Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed.

If you did please comment, vote and/or follow mefor the updates!