"Yeah, we looked at each other. You don't remember?"

"Yeah... I do" I lowered my gaze and caught a slight smile forming on his face from the corner of my eye.

After that, we kept talking about school subjects, but I also learned more about him, which made me really happy. Like how he's been doing track and field for the past four years. He loves animals and would like to have a dog. He also has an older brother, just like I do. His brother has already finished his studies and is a year older than mine. His name is Chris. He moved back home to look for a job, and if that doesn't work out, he'll try elsewhere. He also mentioned how close the two of them are.

We even like the same music. Big plus. I asked him about his friends and I learned the name of the guy he's always with in class—Stefan. They've been friends since middle school. I also asked how he knew Ansel, from junior class. He said they met at the track and get along well.

He asked about me too. What I like to do, what I want to study, my hobbies, and so on. It was so, so nice. I finally had the chance to get to know him, laugh, and joke around... And this was only our first real conversation.

We still had so much to talk about, but unfortunately, the bell rang for the next class.

First time I ever felt sad about a bell ringing for break time. Wow... I must be losing it.

"Already?" he looked toward the school entrance in surprise.

"Yeah, time flew by"

I then spotted Alexia. She came out of her classroom and looked into mine, searching for me. Not seeing me, she walked down the hallway and spotted me sitting with Alex. I saw her freeze. She was staring at us in shock, and because I didn't want Alex to notice, I spoke quickly.

"Uh... I have to go" I stood up from the bench, and he did the same.

"You still owe me an apology" he smiled before heading off, likely to find Stefan in class.

I glanced at Alexia, who was still watching him with wide eyes. Neither of us moved. I waited for her to walk over to me with a humble smile. Not that I really felt humble, but we were at school, and I had to act normal.

After a moment, she slowly approached me with the same dazed expression. I expected her to stop by my side, but instead, she just walked right past me.

"Lexi..." I called, but she kept walking like she was in a daze. "Hey, can you hear me?"

She stopped and turned around to face me. "I think I have a problem with my eyes..."

"What problem?" I asked, worried.

"I'm seeing images of Nefeli and Alex all cozy and giggly" she said, still looking dazed, but now I wasn't concerned anymore.

"You're nuts!" I shouted, but she didn't budge. "Jeez Lexi! Get moving. Once you return to planet Earth, I'll tell you what happened" I grabbed her hand like a little kid as we walked out to the schoolyard.

We reached the group, and Max asked where I was during the morning assembly since he didn't see me.

"I was late" I said, casually.

"And what were you doing for 45 minutes alone?" Evelyn chimed in.

"She wasn't alone" Alexia butted in.

I shot her a discreet look, trying to keep the others from catching on, but internally, I was ready to strangle her.

"Who were you with?" Evelyn asked.

I gave Alexia a fake smile, as if saying, 'Go ahead, say it'

"She was with Al—"

"With Alston" I interrupted before she could finish.

"The chemistry teacher?" Sergio asked.

"Yeah. I ran into him in the hall, and we chatted"

Oh, I'm going to kill her slowly and painfully...

With that thought, I cast another glance at Alexia.

A few minutes later, the bell rang for the second period, and we went back inside. I sat down with her in our usual spot and spoke very calmly.

"Why do you do this? Seriously. Tell me, Alexia, my dear" I practically hissed through gritted teeth, holding back my anger.

"Look..." she spoke with a straight face. "The truth is, it's so much fun watching you try to cover it up" she burst into laughter, and I wanted so badly to hit her.

During the next few breaks, I kept catching glimpses of Alex with his friends. Alexia told me he was watching me whenever I wasn't looking.

When school finally ended, I went home, ate lunch, finished some last-minute tutoring exercises, and left.

I'm going to see him today... What should I do? What should I say? A simple 'hi' is enough, right? But what if he doesn't greet me first?

My mind was racing with questions until I saw him from afar. As we got closer to each other, my heart was pounding harder than ever.

"Hi, Nefeli"

He greeted me! Say something, you idiot, he's leaving!

"Hi, Alex" I finally managed to say, my heart racing with anxiety.

Ahh, he smiled at me...

I can't say I was particularly focused during class.

I don't know... Is it bad if the teacher calls you out four times with, "Nefeli, stop daydreaming"?

I need to stay focused on my studies. Especially this year.

I promised myself, "No crushes in senior year". And of course, the one time I genuinely like someone, it's during senior year!

Oh God, why now? Why did this have to happen now?...

**********