chapter 1- prom date

Start from the beginning

Out of the corner of my eye, I spot a group of students in the hallway, starting to hang up posters. Prom's still 2 months away, but apparently, that's enough reason to start decorating. A banner reading 'PROM: A Night Under the Stars' is half-unrolled, waiting to be pinned up.

A few boxes of balloons and fairy lights are stacked against the lockers. It's like they're determined to remind everyone how close it's getting, even though we've still got weeks.

I shift uncomfortably in my seat. It's not just the decorations—it's the whole thing. Prom is coming, and I don't have a date. I'll have to find someone, and soon, or I'll end up showing up alone. And I'm not sure I'm ready to watch Noah walk in with someone else.

The thought twists in my stomach, and I grip my pencil a little tighter. I scribble down a few more equations, trying to focus on anything but prom, but the idea keeps gnawing at me.

It would be really weird to go to prom alone, that's just embarrassing.
__________________________________
4:28 PM,  Friday

I just came back from volleyball practice, and I'm extremely exhausted. I go to the fridge and grab a nice and cooled Dr. Pepper. I run up to my room and practically throw myself onto the bed. I sigh and open up my soda, CLICK...FIZZ.

Then I take my hair out of my tight ponytail and rub my head, that feeling is so good. Ben barges into my room. I flinch hard and say, "Jeez, you didn't have to scare me like that"

"Sorry, but just wanted to tell you that Jake is coming over," he says.

"Okay," I say.

Ben nods and closes the door. Jake is Noah's best friend, I don't mind him. He looks the same as Noah but just has light brown hair and slight freckles.

DING

It's a notification from my phone. I read it and it's from Gianna, my best friend for life.

The texts⬇️
__________________________________
                     ride or die- gianna🔗

                               4:31 PM

Heyyyyy can I please come over?????

                      wow inviting yourself over I see

u know me🤪

                                               it is a friday..so ig.

u know u want me. u love me.

                                                                whatever
sleepover at ur house at 5?

                                                                okay sure

_______________________________

I love Gianna she is my best friend but she needs to stop inviting herself over to my house. I walk over to Ben's room to do the same thing he did to me.

I barge into his room, and I see him flinch hard.

"Jesus, what?!?"

"Just doing the same thing you did," I say with a smirk on my face. He rolls his eyes jokingly.

"Gianna's coming over".

"Really", Ben says. I see him slightly blush, it's kind of gross to see my brother in love with my best friend, Gianna. They both like each other but I guess I'm the one who's in the way for that.

"I know you like her".

"What no I don't?!?", he says sounding embarrassed and his cheeks going even more red.

"Stop lying," I laugh and then go back to my room. I sip on my Dr. Pepper and scroll through TikTok.

Then I see a TikTok of a promposal. It's the classic cringy pick up lines asking to go to prom with them and the flowers and stuff.

And then it hit me for the second time, I REALLY do need to find a prom date. It's like the universe is trying to tell me I need to.