The Domino Effect

"what happened to Rebecca Domino?" the news reporter said from the television I was watching "police, lead by Detective Fredric Torrince, have been looking into the death of the seventeen year old high school student and have not given us any information. Will the murderer of Rebecca Domino remain uncaptured? Or will justice prevail?  In other news--" I turned off the TV and threw the remote aside. It had been two weeks since Rebecca Domino was murdered and though I had a few suspects I was still nowhere near solving it.

Everyone expected me, Detective Fredric Torrince, to be the one to solve the case considering I have never left a case unsolved. But this once was testing me greatly.

I went through the reports I had of statements, evidence, and alibis. Rebecca Domino had a lot of people in her life. But only four held any interest to me.

Simon Fetcher:Rebecca's boyfriend, whom had dumped Rebecca two days before her murder. Finally admitting to him that she had cheated on him. Claims to have been at a party where several people say he was there.

Tamara Oswald: Rebecca's best friend who, according to several witnesses, was seen to be having a public fight with Rebecca that involved the threat 'Watch your back, Rebecca. You never know when an slight slip might happen.' But Tamara had stated that she was threatening to reveal the secret that Rebecca had cheated on her boyfriend. Apparently they were fighting because Tamara wanted to run away from home with her boyfriend but Rebecca said she would tell her parents before she did. She claims to be at home at the time of the murder, no eye witnesses to back her up

Bryan Dominic: Rebecca's half-brother who everyone had agreed had always shown huge resentment towards Rebecca and blamed her and her mother for causing his parents to get a divorce. But he had been getting tutoring at school when the murder happened so he couldn't have done it.

and finally Penelope Clarence: No direct motive for killing Rebecca but several of Rebecca's friends had said that Rebecca had frequently asked for details abut Penelope which led me to believe she found out something Penelope might not have liked, making her decide to keep Rebecca silent. No one to back u the alibi that she was home at the time of the murder.

All those four suspects had motives for the killings but no evidence showed they had committed the crime. I interviewed a lot of people.

I pulled out Rebecca's diary from the evidence bag and examined it. I had read every entry with no result. I flipped to the last entry she had written and read it again. Nothing important was written; she was excited for her English project because it was on her favorite book 'Pride and Prejudice'. I was about to close the diary again when I noticed something, I looked to the center of the book, where the pages met and there, small and unnoticeable, was a small piece of paper indicating where a page was ripped.

I immediately went through all the reports on what we got frm the search of her room and couldn't find anything. So she must've ripped the last entry in her diary. But why? I grabbed the diary and flipped the the last entry, it was on the back side of the page. Which meant that the ripped entry would have been on a new one. I grabbed a pencil from my desk and started to lightly color the page with the pencil, it was an old trick but it usually worked. Her writing on the previous page would have left indents on the new one.

And sure enough when I was done a few words were visible, but unfortunately not the whole entry. It was a day before the murder

Dear Diary, 13 Jan

I don't know what......English class.....maybe if......Penelope......convince.......it's wrong.....I can't believe it.....going to tell.......respected.....disgusting.....blackmail......pay.....tomorrow.