“So how did you meet our Kimberley, through work was it?”

“Yeah” Cheryl confirms, deciding honesty is the best policy, “I own an independent building firm, me team have been working on Kimberley’s pool extension for about six months, we first…err…got together a month after we met”

“You‘ve been seeing each other for five months?!” John asks incredulously, “we were under the impression this’s had only been going on a few weeks!”

Diane nods, an accusatory tone in her voice.

“John’s right, Kimberley has some explaining to do.  Why? Why would she keep this from us?  Did you tell her to?!”

“No” Cheryl states, her stomach starting to churn,  “I…I’d never try to tell Kimba what to do…never…it was her…she was scared of how you’d react”

“Scared” Diane repeats with a look of hurt and confusion, “we’ve always accepted her for who she is. Why would she be scared?”

“Because Cheryl’s a brickie!  That‘s all anyone I’ve told about us has ever said to me, it’s all they‘ve ever seen her as!  Ok so she might be a brickie but she’s my fcuking brickie and I’m in love with her alright!” 

Kimberley’s mum and dad’s eyes pop open and Cheryl nearly chokes on nothing as Kimberley stands in the doorway, her hands clenched around a couple of novelty mugs, defending her passionately. 

“Here, let me get those” 

The Geordie springs into action, breaking through the tension as she takes the cuppas from her girlfriend’s hands, placing them down in front of an astonished Diane and John.  Placing her hand over Kimberley’s she guides her girlfriend to the sofa, settling down next to her and laying a gentle kiss on her lips.

“You ok babe?”

“Yeah” Kimberley murmurs, wrapping an arm round Cheryl’s body and pulling her closer, “sorry mum, dad, I didn’t mean to shout”

Diane looks at her sadly, taking her husband‘s hand for support.

“It’s ok love, we just wish that you’d felt able to tell us before, don’t we John?”

Kimberley’s dad nods.

“You’re our daughter and we want what‘s right for you, brickie or no brickie”

Cheryl gives Kimberley a supportive squeeze as she takes out a tissue, dabbing at her eyes.

“I thought you’d think I was stupid, a celeb like me dating a…a…”

“A commoner” Cheryl finishes jokily, “apparently, according to Kimberley, the press don’t take too well to these things”

“Being worried about the press I can understand but we’re her family” 

Diane gets up, coming over to sit next to Kimberley.  Cheryl releases the sniffling blonde into her mum’s arms.

“We’re so proud of you for achieving what you have and you know we’ll always do whatever we have to do to protect you but never at the expense of your happiness.  If you really love and trust Cheryl then maybe we should give her a break eh, after all if she was that conniving then she’d have sold her story to the press long ago…”

“Oh thanks” Cheryl interrupts dryly, “so now you’ve decided maybe I’m just a golddigger instead of a famewhore”

The Geordie thinks she’s blown it for a moment but is surprised when Kimberley’s parents start chuckling.

“Well you’re certainly plain speaking” John states, “we appreciate that Cheryl, so how about we start fresh from this moment and see how we get on”

Kimberley exchanges looks with Cheryl and the builder nods happily.

“I suppose you can’t say fairer than that, when you’ve had your tea perhaps I can show you the work I’ve done on the extension?”

*************************************************************

The rest of the day had gone by in a blur of building skills being shown, families’ meeting and cups of tea and coffee being downed.  Eventually Diane and John had left for home, leaving Kimberley and Cheryl with their blessing.

“God I‘m glad that‘s over” Kimberley sighs, flopping down onto the bed next to Cheryl after they’d said their goodnight’s to Joan and Garry.

“It was one crazy day” Cheryl agrees, stretching her arms out and yawning, “but I’m glad it turned out ok, I thought I was in the shite for a while”

“So did I” Kimberley smiles, turning onto her side and propping herself up on her elbow, “thanks for keeping calm”

“No problemo” Cheryl grins, “now all we‘ve got to tackle is you coming out to the press” 

Kimberley pulls a sarcastic face.

“Oh yeah, just that one small thing, happy days!”