"Please, don't you think I tried that?" I groaned.

"I was just trying to help." Katie sighed.

I didn't say anything back to her, just finished my poptart and got ready for school.

------------------

I kind of shut people out when they tried to talk to me in the morning. Probably came off as rude. Not unusual, though. The only person I talked to was Matt, who, per usual, didn't have much to say. "Hey, Riddles." Though I seriously hate that nickname, he's the only person with 'permission' to call me that. "You okay?"

I shrugged. "I mean I guess so, but it isn't important."

Matt groaned. "Don't do this. It's too early in the morning."

"What are you talking about? I answered your question." I frowned.

"This pity party shit." He shook his head.

"I was answering your question. Because you know, friends tell the truth sometimes." I rolled my eyes.

"What's that supposed to mean?" He raised a brow.

"Nothing, Matt. Absolutely nothing." I sighed. "I really don't want to fight with you again, especially at seven-thirty in the morning. I'm too tired, and I know I'll say something I'll regret."

He looked into my eyes. "Something's bothering you."

"It doesn't matter, okay?" I brushed my bangs out of my eyes with my hand. Instead, they ended up even more in my face, frustrating me. Matt fixed them for me, locking gazes with me.

"It does matter. It always matters."

I avoided eye contact.

Don't show your feelings, Ridley..

"Whatever it is, you can tell me. You should know that by now." He whispered.

One of his god-only-knows-how-many fan girls broke the moment thankfully, before I said (or did) something stupid. "Matt, I missed you! Why do you miss school so much?"

He turned and looked at her awkwardly. "I have a job that takes all of my energy away and a mom that manages to fall and break something all the time, when she can't drive to the ER. She doesn't have a license, so I have to take her everywhere. What's it to you, uh, Kirsten?"

"It's Kylee." She looked offended. "I don't like talking to these other lame-o's."

Excuse me, what'd you say, pencil skirt?

I wanted to laugh so badly, but I kept my mouth shut. He can't even remember half the chicks' names.

"I'm not here for your entertainment." He scoffed. "Can't rely on me for everything. Shit."

Damn, so true though; the second part. He sort of just comes and goes. Can't expect him to listen to you 24/7 if he doesn't want to. As much as I call him my best friend, with all of my feelings and shit, I know he's a huge douche bag and has a god-complex the size of well- god.

"Ugh, come on, you know you're amazing. The school needs you."

What's up with you, pencil skirt?

I swear, my thoughts make me laugh. 

"Dude, just go away." Ooh, man. She made him mad. Or he's pretending he's tired, because he 'didn't sleep last night and went into a sleep-induced coma.' I love him to death, but he makes more excuses than my sister does. 

It's almost like he doesn't feel valid if he doesn't have one. I understand that all humans make mistakes, hell, I'm a living, breathing, example. But in the real world, you can't always use them. I wonder if he knows that and isn't saying anything, or if he's just that naive... 

--------------

A/N

Hey, guys. I decided that even though you don't read this, I'm gonna keep updating anyway. I didn't intend on even starting this, since it's a rewrite, until my ex-best friend, who this is actually about (He's Matt), pretty much begged me to. I don't even know why. It's whatever though. If you're reading this and actually like it.. Don't be shy. ;) Let me know what you think. I promise it matters.

~Jace (today, anyway)