How It Begins - Prologue

She trudged up the steps, boots muddy and hair messy. She looked about as bad as girl of her beauty could. She had just returned from her favorite place in the forest and came home expecting a nice, warm shower, but when she got to the top of the stairs, she was met by her thick-headed, older, and much taller, brother.

CLARA POV

"Ugh, what are you doing here?" Jack groans.

"I just happen to live here, you arse. Now move so I can go take a shower." I spit back and shove him out of the way.

"You can't go in there right now. My friend's taking a shower."

"Yeah, nice try, but last time I checked you didn't have friends." I say as I make my way to the bathroom door.

"I'm not joking. Seriously, my friend is in there."

"And what if I don't believe you? I don't hear water running. This could just be you trying to trick me out of taking a shower for three days again."

"Then I would say 'I told you so' because I'm not lying."

"Yeah, well, I still don't believe you. Go play with your trains or whatever it is you're interested in now." I say with my hand resting on the door knob.

"Alright, fine. Don't say I didn't warn you." he says as heads downstairs.

Once he's gone I walk into my room, grab some clean clothes and a towel, and head towards the bathroom once more. I twist the doorknob and open the door and my eyes are met with the naked body of a Greek god. My eyes are about level with his upper chest and all I can do is stand there and stutter like an idiot. I try to keep eye contact, but he's very distracting. I don't know what's more embarrassing; the fact that I'm staring at one of Jack's friends naked right now or that I'm enjoying it. Let's just say, this boy will haunt my dreams tonight.

After an inner monologue and a few seconds, I realize neither of us has said a thing and he's still standing there, bare as the day he was born.

"Ah, um. I'm sorry," I stutter and quickly race out of the room, slamming the door behind me, hoping that he doesn't think I'm a complete pervert. I stand in the hallway for the next few minutes, thinking about how awkward dinner will be tonight and waiting for him to come out so I can shower. I hear the bathroom door creak open and I stand up straighter and turn towards it, accidentally bumping into him in the process.

"Oh, um, sorry. Hello again, I'm Clara, Jack's sister. I am so sorry about that though. Honestly," I half-mutter awkwardly.

Calm down, Clara! God! It's not like this is your first time seeing an attractive person of the opposite sex! I mentally scold myself.

"Matt," he says firmly and holds a hand for me to shake, which I accept somewhat casually, "And don't worry about it. It's fine. It's not the first time someone's seen me naked, not that people see me naked all the time, but who hasn't been walked in on? You probably haven't, although, with Jack as your brother, I don't know and I'm rambling, aren't I? I'm just gonna stop talking now."

It's then that we both realize he's still holding my hand. Awkwardly, we both let go and shy away from each other.

"It was nice to meet you, um..."

"Clara."

"Right, Clara. Nice to meet you, Clara," he smiles and goes downstairs to meet Jack and I can't wipe the goofy grin I'm wearing off my face. But then I realize if he's friends with Jack he must be gay.