Chapter 70 - Céad Míle Fáilte

Start from the beginning

"Girls," there was a faint whisper coming from the door. "Open up, let me in."

Amelia moved slowly to the door and opened it, her fist balled up ready to strike, but Maureen raised empty hands to prove she was no threat. "What do you want?"

"To help you," Maureen peeked over to gaze at Alice. "She's gorgeous."

"Get away from my daughter," Amelia sneered. "Who are you and why the fuck would I think you want to help?"

Mae already knew, while Maureen had aged she hadn't changed, but Mae didn't say anything about it. "Amelia maybe we should just hear her out."

"Hear her out?" Amelia laughed. "Fuck these people."

"Here," Maureen slapped down what looked like an old pencil case. "There's money in there, a map of the area, the names of a few safe places you can stay and a knife. Galen won't know you're gone for a bit, but move as fast as you can."

"What?" Amelia unzipped the case and saw that Maureen was being truthful. "Why?"

"I know your father," Maureen explained. "And this mess is my fault."

"What did you do? Why are we here?" Amelia was cracking, her face of the strong Winston woman was weakening. "I just want to go home."

"Just take the money and go then," Maureen urged her. "I'll call Piney and let him know."

"Amelia," Mae was gathering Alice's things. "We should go." Seeing Amelia wasn't going to let it go that easily Mae was fed up. "Jesus just tell her," Mae snapped at Maureen.

"You know?" Amelia glared at Mae. "What the fuck is going on?"

When Maureen didn't immediately explain Mae did. "Maureen is your mom, Amelia. She didn't want you to be raised here so when JT and Piney were here she sent you to be a Winston."

"Shut up," Amelia, in denial, snatched the zipper pouch and jammed it into the diaper bag. "I don't care why, you're all a bunch of goddamn liars anyway. I just want to get home."

"Go," Maureen sniffled as Amelia picked up Alice. "You need to g-"

The sound of a bullet silenced Maureen, for good, and elicited a squeal out of both Mae and Amelia and sending them down for cover. The murderer had pulled Maureen out of the room and fired twice as she tried to retreat down the hall.

"I should have known I couldn't trust her," Galen strolled casually into the room, gun still in hand, with a sick smile on his face. "That's what this is all about anyway, trust."

"I think that's...that's your father," Mae whispered, screwing her eyes shut as she cowered away. Under her breath she whispered to herself and tried to force the sound of the shot out of her head.

"I can't trust Mo, Mo couldn't trust me and you my beautiful daughter can't trust anyone. Your brother, your old man, his mother, they all knew you didn't belong there."

"No," Amelia whimpered as she shielded as sobbing Alice.

"I know, it's disappointing," he paced the room calm and hardly minding the corpse beneath him growing colder with each passing minute. "But you're home now."

"Fuck you," Amelia cried. "You're a piece of shit."

"Now see," he looked at Mae with disgust. "Had I raised my daughter she wouldn't be some foul mouthed little bitch."

Refusing to meet his stare, Mae wrapped her arms around herself and wondered if Opie would ever come.

"I'm not your daughter," Amelia spat.