Chapter Twenty Nine

Start from the beginning

 “How’s the arm?”  Azhure asked.

He flexed his fingers, “Getting better.  Shouldn’t have got on that horse in total honesty.  I’m a bit old now.”

Azhure laughed.  “Yeah right, what are you?  Like 50?”

He swiped at her, “Not yet.”

She laughed.

 “How old are you now?  Thirty yet?”

Azhure gasped, “I turned twenty-one last year!  You know that!”

Adam started to laugh. “How do you think I could forget?”  He asked.  

She glared at him from the corner of her eye, and then asked.  “Why don’t you give up the whole rodeo thing?”

 “I have to have something to get me away from Cathi.”  He replied.

 “Do you still love her?”

 “Not like I used to, she’s my friend now.  We’re closer now than we were in the beginning.”

 “She loves you.”

 “Yeah, I know.”

 “You should stop it you know.  Cathi isn’t the reason you keep coming back here every month.”

Adam looked at her, reached over and gave her thigh a squeeze.  “No, Azhure, I come back here for you.”

 “Be careful, Lucien won’t like that.”  She said in mock horror.

 “Hah!  Like he could stop me.”  He laughed, “Besides, you’re far too young for me.”

 “Yeah right, what if I offered?”

 “Are you?”  He asked, looking at her, eyebrows raised and a huge grin on his face.

Azhure’s heart rate jumped.  “Not bloody likely.”  She answered, only half-serious.  “Besides, you’re too much in love with my mother.”

Adam stopped smiling.  “When are you going to come around the rodeo circuit with me?”

 “Next month.”  Azhure replied, letting the change of subject slide.

 “I could have broken a leg by then.” 

 “Don’t fall off then.”  Azhure replied.

He smiled, “How’s your psycho horse?”

 “You can see him today if you like, photos don’t do him justice.”

 “I doubt it.”  He said.

 “Mum won’t see you.  She doesn’t go out there much.  My boy is on the other side of the stable block.  She doesn’t go that far.”

 “Did you breed him yourself?”

 “I chose his mother, but The Admiral is his Daddy.”

 “Do you still call Damien, Daddy?”  Adam asked, unexpectedly.

Azhure laughed, “No, I’m a bit old for that now.  What twenty-one year old is going to call their father Daddy?”

 “Point taken, I was only asking.”

Azhure leaned back against the door, watching him.  “I stopped calling him that when I moved back into Mums.”

He nodded and changed the subject again.  “Why doesn’t your mum get out much?”

 “She’s busy at the moment.”  Azhure said. “Sometimes she walks around the house with, um, no one and talks about you.”

Adam looked at her.  “Has she gone mad?”