Kabanata 23: Last Will

Magsimula sa umpisa

.......

Nico's POV

As soon as I put her to bed quietly and gently, I covered her with the soft blanket and kiss her forehead before leaving the room silently. It was so hard for me to see her like this.

I quickly made my way to my office and dialed Brenton Zavala, the best spy and secret agent I've ever work with. I've been dying to call him and ask for his help, but I can't left my wife alone, when I know that Veronica is just around, like a snake slithering silently around, waiting for her chance to bite my wife in the back.

Brenton help me a lot. I'm not where I am now without him as a part of my success. He's efficient and he knows what to do. It is what he is good at.

He's a man with powerful connections and strong resources. "Zavala speaking," even his voice sound hard just how he looks physically. A man in his forties who works in the FBI for fifteen years and later resigned to work as a discreet associate of Trenton's Security Agency.

"It's Nicholas Cyrus," pag-uumpisa ko. I heard his voice change as soon as I said my name. I could literally feel his lips tugs into a small smile. Brenton is a guy who barely smile. The tragic incident happened in his life made him who he is right now. A bitter guy who lives only to kill. Spying and finding a lost soul was only his hobbies he can't resist. He is damn good and that's the sole reason I keep on coming back to him. I can't blame him why he is acting differently and why he has a different principle in life. His wife was raped and brutally killed by a gang leader after dealing with a drug cartel and sabotaging their next huge deals in Chicago, seizing five men, including an underboss of a mafia and now, still behind bars.

He's a Latino who grew up in Chicago. I met him through a friend. I started working with him when I had to dig about a rivalry in the shipping business in the name of Demarco Razzini. He loves to travel and that he doesn't pick the job that landed him. Kaya kahit saan ko siya ipadala upang mangolekta ng mga impormasyon, he never turned it down. He loves travelling, too. That's the best part of it. And he always brings me all that I needed. He exceeded my expectations.

"It's nice to hear from you, Cyrus. What's up, man?" his tight and hard voice interrupted my thoughts.

"I hope I didn't catch you at a bad time," I started knowing he's a busy man.

"Well, we are just cleaning ourselves after getting dirty," he arrogantly proclaimed, and I could literally see him grinning mischievously. I heard a faint sound of a woman on the other line but too muffled to grasp her words.

"Good for you," I responded flatly and he groaned.

"What do you want me to dig for you?" he shot straight without preamble.

I didn't play hard and fire it straight away. "I want to know who Veronica Perez was dealing the past few months and dig more about her. My wife's father died of heart attack after we left for our honeymoon. It seems that there's a foul play because he was doing better before we left and since Veronica came back, he just suddenly had a heart attack that causes his death," dire-diretso kong sabi. "I'll send you the information of Veronica Perez so you know where to start," dagdag ko.

"This sound like another psychopath woman," komento nito na ikinatango ko.

"She's just another selfish brat. I don't know her selfish reason for killing her own father, and I won't stop until I found it out. I'm not going to let her harm my wife!" nagtatagis bagang deklara ko.

"That's perfect, I'm in Japan. I'm done with my purpose here," he responds briefly.

"Great!" medyo nakahinga ako ng maluwag. "One more thing, my wife real father is out there, too, but I have this feeling he's not her real father, and Veronica has something to do with this," dagdag ko.