Why Can't You Get Along?

Start from the beginning

When they finally seem to remember there is a third person is in the room with them, they pull out of the hug, both looking slightly embarrassed but also like this isn't the first time they've forgotten about the existence of other people. 'Sorry, we kind of have a bad habit of not realising that we hug for too long.' Varun apologises, rubbing the back of his neck with one hand. Natasha notices that the other hand is still wrapped around the girl's waist and it annoys her more than a little.

'You must be Natasha.' the girl says, extending a hand. Natasha nods and shakes it, still unsure of exactly who this person is. 'I don't think Varun is actually going to introduce us. I'm Alia.' Natasha is a little shocked but it goes unnoticed by the two. The girl, who has now been identified as Alia, smiles up at her best friend fondly while he looks kind of sheepish.

'You're Alia?' Natasha questions, breaking the silence.

'Yep, that's me. At least, I was the last time I checked. Varun, am I still Alia?' she questions jokingly.

'Nope. You're Alu.' he states with a small laugh.

'As long as I'm not Shaheen.' Another girl walks into the room then, not even pausing on the way to the fridge as she lightly hits the back of Alia's head.

'I heard that.' the third girl tells her and so Natasha assumes she must be Shaheen.

'Well it's true, I don't want to be you. I like being me.' Alia justifies.

'And I don't think I could deal with two Shaheens. One is scary enough.' Varun quips, faking a shudder. Both Alia and Shaheen glare at him while Natasha watches on, perplexed.

'You say that like you aren't scared of Alia.' Shaheen tells the boy and he chuckles a little.

'We all know I'm scared of her but you're ten times scarier than my Alu, in a good way of course.' The words that register in Natasha's head are my Alu. Jealousy threatens to rear it's ugly head as she stands there.

'Varun, I'm a little confused.' she admits, causing all three heads to turn in her direction. Shaheen raises an eyebrow and smirks a little but says nothing, leaving the room, giving Alia a look as she leaves. Varun's forehead creases in confusion as he catches the look but Alia quickly dismisses it.

'Shaheen sau gandi taygyu chhe. Ene lagache ke hu olu tawani chho. Su kayche? insecure.' (Shaheen's gone crazy. She thinks I'm going to feel thingy now. What do they call it?) She tells him, rolling her eyes. Varun scoffs and his girlfriend wonders what, exactly, was just said.

He seems to remember something and he turns to Natasha, finally unwrapping his arm from around Alia and leaning back against the counter. 'You said you were confused?' he asks as Alia moves over towards the fridge. The action surprises Natasha a bit; with the way Varun and Alia seem to be glued together, she had expected the girl to copy his movements.

'Uh, yeah. I was kind of expecting someone younger.' Natasha confesses. A snort of amusement is heard from Alia, who is still looking for something in the fridge. She doesn't say anything but laughs silently to herself, knowing that Varun would have told his girlfriend stories from when they were younger, conveniently leaving out when they happened.