Chapter Thirteen: Spacewalker's Stand

Comenzar desde el principio

"They attack." Clarke stated, voice wavering.

The crowd reacted immediately, yelling out in favor of the offer.

"I say we give him up!"

"Get rid of him!"

One man stepped closer to Finn with a glare. "Give him to the grounders!" He approached Finn and Raven lashed out at him. "Back off!" She pushed against the man and sent him backwards a few feet despite her small size.

"Raven!" Jamie lunged towards her and pulled her back as Clarke joined her. "Raven, Raven, listen to me!" Clarke pleaded.

Raven calmed down as the crowd pushed around them, riling each other up. People continued shouting about giving him up but Jamie fought to get closer to Raven, Clarke, and Finn, eager to hear what Clarke would say.

"Nothing is going to happen to him. I promise, okay?"

Raven studied Clarke before nodding in reluctance and as Jamie looked at Finn she could see the fear in his gaze. He knew he wasn't going to make it out of this unscathed and even then at what cost?

"I'm not dying for him!" One man's voice rang out clear over the others. "Spacewalker burned three months of oxygen from the Ark. He should've floated a long time ago!"

Jamie's eyes narrowed at the man and she shifted to stand in front of Finn. She could feel his breath on her hair as he was nearly pressed up against her, watching the crowd turn. She glanced at Abby to see her trying to calm people down to no avail and then her eyes landed on Bellamy. He was watching the group closest to her, ready and waiting with his gun in his hand, already pushing a few men back.

The man continued coming closer as he kept talking. "Throw him out!"

Raven turned as the man approached. "Back off!" She pushed him back and as the female guard grabbed her, she turned and punched her hard in the jaw. Several guards surrounded Raven but the girl kept up the fight.

"Let me go!" Raven yelled out.

Jamie watched with wide eyes, looking around as the crowd tried to reach Finn. She joined Clarke in pushing people away from him, glancing momentarily at the guards trying to contain Raven.

"Lock her up!" The female guard yelled as two others pulled Raven away from the growing crowd.

As Jamie watched, Abby wrapped her hand around her arm. "Come on, we have to get him away from the crowd!"

Jamie nodded and looked up at Finn. He was staring down at her with a blank expression and she patted his back, signaling he should follow Abby. With a long sigh he nodded and followed Abby through the crowd, now surrounded by guards. Jamie's skin crawled as the guards circled their group to get them to safety and she itched to get free of the group. Even after all they'd been through she still didn't like guards.

Abby led them to a space right behind the room Jamie, Bellamy, and Murphy had been locked up in and gestured for everyone to sit. Jamie stayed standing, shoulder to shoulder with Clarke as they waited for Abby to talk.

Abby's face was paler than usual as she looked at the group. Her eyes ghosted past Finn and Bellamy, lingered on Jamie, before landing on Clarke. Abby nodded towards the containment area, or prison, whichever was necessary, and Clarke nodded in return. She turned to Finn with a soft, forced smile. "Stay safe. Stay right here." She looked at Jamie but the blonde shook her head. "I'm staying with him."

Clarke nodded and followed Abby out. Bellamy lingered by the opening with his gun still drawn as Finn slowly sank to the ground.

Jamie sat down beside him, watching him closely as Bellamy walked out. A few minutes passed in silence until Finn started digging for something in his pocket. He pulled out a necklace with a silver charm and held it out for Jamie. She arched a brow at him before grabbing it and analyzing the charm.